Friday, Sept. 27

Around The Arts

Student group to hold Tsunami Relief Benefit tonight\nIndiana Public Interest Research Group will hold a Tsunami Relief Benefit at 7 p.m. tonight at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Performers will include Jenn Cristy, Paris, Salaam and Sophia Travis. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the American Red Cross to aid the Indian Ocean Relief Effort. Tickets for the concert can be purchased at the Sunrise Box Office located next to the theater. For more information contact INPIRG at 856-4128 or the Sunrise Box Office at 323-3020.

'Percussive Dance' intertwines tradition and modernism\nThe John Waldron Arts Center is putting on a collection of historically entrenched dances, with a whole new touch. "The Percussive Dance Project" will feature clogging/flatfooting, as well as Cape Breton, Irish and French-Canadian step dancing. Local musicians also play a prime role in the performance. Instruments used will include different combinations of fiddle, Irish flute, concertina, old-time banjo, guitar and upright bass. The performance takes place at 8 p.m. today. For more information, contact JWAC at 334-3100.

Coffee exhibit opens at Mathers Museum\nAn exhibit of photographs at the Mathers Museum of World Cultures documents coffee production in Nicaragua and explores how a cup of coffee travels from the fields to our fingertips. "The People of the Coffee Highlands of Nicaragua" opens at 5:30 p.m. Friday and features images by Claudia Gordillo, a Nicaraguan photographer.\nJeffrey Gould, director of CLACS, said in the opening essay that the exhibit "aims to present a synthetic vision of the people involved in coffee production in Nicaragua, showing individuals in relation to their communities, environment and technical equipment." \n"The People of the Coffee Highlands of Nicaragua" will be on exhibit through Friday, May 27. For more information, call 855-6873.

The Bloomington Improvising Artists Series kicks off 2005\nRecording artists Jack Wright, Michel Doneda and Tatsuya Nakatani will present a concert at 8 p.m. Friday at the Loving Heart Center, 111 E. Kirkwood Ave.. Nakatani on drums and percussion, Doneda and Wright on saxophones are seasoned veterans of the art of improvised music. Nakatani is from Japan, but now lives in New York and has become a percussionist with a carefully sculpted and vibrant sound. Doneda has performed as a soprano saxophone improviser in France, and is quickly becoming well-known in the United States for his unique presence and sound. Wright has toured widely to experiment with the saxophone. Electronic improvisation duo Jeremy Kennedy and Leah Yeppi will open the concert. Admission is $5 at the door and doors open 7:30 p.m. For more information log onto www.springgardenmusic.com.