Thursday, Oct. 3

Local concerts provide spring amusement

Elton John, Motley Crüe to rock Midwest during break

Whether it is a platinum-selling artist or a friend's garage band, rock and pop concerts can offer spring breakers the excitement and adrenaline rush of going to Cancun without the steep costs and tiring days spent traveling.\nFreshman Jamie Palmer attended a Dave Matthews Band concert in Chicago with her friends during spring break several years ago. She said she enjoyed her spring break without having to subtract a lot of money from her savings account.\n"You still get the adventure of going out of town, hanging out with friends, and it's not as costly," Palmer said. \nPalmer also said she enjoyed the extra time she had before and after the concert to recover from a stressful semester.\n"When you go on vacation, the time it takes you to get there and back leaves you feeling dead from all the driving," she said. "You have time to recuperate after a concert."\nFreshman Brian Leisring said he sees other advantages of going to a concert instead of vacationing during spring break.\n"Traveling to see a show is more fun and more spontaneous," he said. \nSpring break can become even more memorable by planning other activities or small road trips around the concert.\n"You can do a lot of different things if you go to a concert -- like go camping," said sophomore Paul Helms. \nSome of the exciting tours visiting the Midwest during this year's spring break are The Taste of Chaos Tour, Elton John, Motley Crüe and Ashlee Simpson.\nThe Taste of Chaos Tour is being labeled as the indoor Vans Warped Tour with headliners The Used and My Chemical Romance. The tour will stop in the Midwest March 11 at the Cobo Arena in Detroit and the next day at the Eagles Club in Milwaukee. \nLegendary entertainer Elton John will perform 8 p.m. March 12 at the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Classic 1980s, glam-metal band Motley Crüe will arrive March 12 to visit the Cellular Arena in Milwaukee. On the other end of the music spectrum, pop star Ashlee Simpson will perform that same day at the Palace Theatre in Columbus, Ohio. Also, U2 will begin its 10-month world tour in the United States in March. \nHelms said he is not a devoted follower of the band even though U2's legendary status is reason enough for him to make the trip to see Bono and company during spring break. \n"Everyone tells me how awesome they are," Helms said. "They would be really great to see -- plus, they're legendary." \nU2 was set to announce the dates for its U.S. tour in early January but has postponed the announcement. \nMany more concerts are scheduled during spring break. To find tickets for these shows, log on to www.ticketmaster.com or visit the individual bands' Web sites.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Ashley Brown at ashbrown@indiana.edu.