Friday, Sept. 27

Putting together a runway show

Four fashion majors reflect on their collections; art in clothing expressed with variety of themes

In the upcoming months, four seniors in the Individualized Major Fashion Design Program will debut their individual lines, presenting them to fit their unique personalities and inspirations. Themes range from biker, Brazilian birds, a winter in Russia to wealthy women at a country club. Each collection is a culmination of four years studying fashion and sewing techniques. Though each student's presentation is different, they have all experienced the same difficulties and possess much of the same drive. \nHeather Elrod takes on the "biker chic" theme, concentrating on bringing a softer side to this masculine inspiration. \n"My line is motorcycle wear-inspired," Elrod said. "It's not what you'd wear on a motorcycle but it's tweaked more for everyday wear. My angle is taking the harshness of the leather, steel and motorcycle, mixing it with pearls and ribbon, as opposed to fringe, to give it a feminine look."\nKate Bondurant, a senior in the IMP Fashion Design Program, drew inspiration from her travels in Europe and the military.\n"I was inspired by the Russian winter 'Winter in Red Square'," Bondurant said. "I worked with a lot of heavy fabrics, coats, jackets, plaids, heavy velvets and military influence here and there. There are a lot of tailoring techniques. But I'd notice a detail on a chair, a closure on a jacket and build from there."\nLike many of the other IMP fashion design students, Bondurant has been brainstorming the concept and construction of her collection since spring semester. \n"I worked on the concept of the line and the designs during Spring semester and then I began the construction in mid-June." Bondurant said. "Right now I'm working on the last couple pieces and the finishing touches."\nBondurant is not pushing the envelope with her show, but focuses more on the production of her clothing. \n"My show Feb. 5 is definitely not pushing the envelope," she said. "As far as design goes, I do quality."\nQuality and luxury are also the theme for Alexi Tavel's senior presentation. Her theme is '50s-style, country club sportswear which she said embodies the mystery of wealth. \n"I drew inspirations from uniforms -- like golf, tennis and polo. The fifties were another inspiration because that's when sportswear first started," Tavel said. "I used a lot of sheer and graceful fabrics -- silk, bright colors. It's just the mystery of wealthy people going to country clubs."\nTavel's luxurious daytime sportswear can be dressed up and worn during the evening. \n"I used jersey to emphasize sportswear and I have updated playsuits," Tavel said. "Everything can be mis-matched with everything else. I am big on separates." \nTavel's collection consists of vintage plaid, silk tweed trousers, bloomers that gather at the leg and waist and cropped pants. \nThe students in the program learn couture techniques or the high fashion form of sewing. The form hides all seam allowances. Furthermore, the seam finishing has to be done by hand, which takes more time than machine sewing. \nSenior in the IMP Fashion Design program Ana Carolina Coelho will be using many of the couture techniques for her collection. She is anxious to show off the knowledge she has gained. \n"I spent the last two years learning these techniques," she said. "This project is a chance to prove what I've learned. It's all outside of class, so I have a work load and then this show with 12-15 ensembles. It was sink or swim to a degree."\nCoelho said she is inspired by the fauna of her native homeland of Brazil and the colorful natural elements of the environment. \n"It's tropical birds from my home country, Brazil," Coelho said. "There are 30 pieces of clothing, using a lot of different techniques to give it the feeling of a bird without using feathers: beadings, embroidery, crochet, layers, colors -- all give that feeling."\nThe personal attention nudged Coelho along.\n"It was encouraging knowing I'd have a very personal experience with the instructors," she said. "I was someone special because it's not a huge program."

Difficulties\nPutting together a fashion show can be challenging and time consuming as each student found out as while putting together their shows for this past year. \n"Once done in March, it will have taken 11 months to complete the whole process," Coelho said, "from designing, making the pattern, sewing, fitting it to the model and finally presenting it." \nCoelho said the most difficult part was the creative process, because of all the steps she had to take constructing the garments from sketches. \n"The most difficult part of the whole creative process is to transfer the design you've just created into something realistic and still cope with the tight class schedules and other home work." Coelho said. "This creative process requires you to plan your time and constantly use your problem solving skills. That is definitely the hardest part of it."\nTavel also said the creative process was the most difficult and though she is proud of her work, she said it did not come easy. \n"The sewing was extremely hard. Executing the garment and the construction was the most difficult portion," Tavel said.\nTavel and Coelho said the help they received from their friends and others lightened the load. \n"Some students in the (telecommunications) program are helping with the videotaping, others in the (Costume Construction Technology) and (Apparel Merchandising Interior Design programs) are volunteering to be dressers and models and other friends that are taking pictures and getting the music together," Coelho said. "Making sure that all of these parts work together for a successful show is hard, but everyone is enthusiastic and excited to help and I am sure we are a strong team and it will be just great!" \nThe Presentation \nSeniors in the IMP Fashion Design program are not required to produce a runway show, but they are required to turn in at least 20 to 25 garments. Students are given creative freedom when it comes to how and where they present their shows. This semester students are choosing a variety of different forms. \nTavel taped a runway show without an audience on Jan. 28 and is turning the tape in as the presentation of her collection. \n"I wanted to have different forms of media," she said, "so I'm doing photography to show my evening wear and a video." \nTavel's exhibit takes place from 6 to 9 p.m., Feb. 26 at the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St., and she will present her clothes with the taped video. The exhibition will feature more clothes than the ones to appear in the video, and the runway show will loop on screens with her evening wear on display. \nCoelho and Bondurant will take a more traditional path and produce live runway shows. Coelho is excited about her show and the creativity she is bringing to the runway. \n"It will be a more theatrical runway show. The event is called 'Birds in Paradise.' I wanted to show 'life,' the life of the birds in paradise," Coelho said. "A show like that had to be only shown once. The runway was the best pick." \nCoelho, who is seeking models between sizes four to six as well as anyone interested in dressing, will present her show at 5 p.m., March 26 in the Fountain Square Ballroom. It is open to all.\nBondurant who has previous experience with runway shows decided to go with what she knows. \n"I had the privilege of doing a fashion show in high school and so I knew what needed to be done coming into this project," she said. "I just wanted to do something that would be entertaining and kind of exciting for my friends and family that will be watching."\nHer show will be held Feb. 5 at the Bloomington Convention Center. \nThough each student will be taking their creations on a runway, students like Elrod keep the real world a top priority.\n"I put a realistic spin on everything," she said. "I was able to take what I enjoy and make it a realistic career choice."\n-- Contact Asst Arts Editor Patrice Worthy at pworthy@indiana.edu and Staff Writer Colleen Carroll at cncarrol@indiana.edu.