Friday, Sept. 27

THE SOUNDING OF THE DRUM

Community spirit channeled as IU kicks off Black History Month

Some sounded the drum for peace. Others sounded it for love. No matter what their prayers, IU students and faculty gathered at the "Sound the Drum and Family Fest" Thursday night at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center to celebrate the beginning of Black History Month at IU.\n"Sounding the drum" was popular in pre-colonial Africa, where the town crier would play the drum as a means of gathering everyone together to enable the sharing of information.\n"'Sound the Drum' is a renewal time to come together to reaffirm our commitment to ourselves and the community and to the principles of Kwanzaa," said Oyibo Afoaku, director of the Neal-Marshall Center.\nWith a drum propped up on a table in the front of the room, people formed a line and took their turns praying for a variety of requests.\nDrummer and graduate student Paul Schauert began the celebration by teaching a fundamental principle of playing the drums.\n"There is always going to be a pulse that everyone follows," Schauert said. "You have to find that pulse."\nTen-year-old Hillary Threatt created the pulse and led the group in the sounding of the percussion instrument. Threatt wasn't the only child in attendance; several other children tapped a pencil against tables to keep the beat.\nWith every thud of the drum, each participant sent a message, prayer or thought to someone close to them. \n"I sound the drum for love, understanding and togetherness," said Sandy Britton, director of the Leo R. Dowling International Center, who co-sponsored the event.\nThe deeply spiritual event was enhanced by the artwork in a hallway leading to the room, featuring abstract art on slavery by famous painter Jacob Lawrence.\nAs people prayed at the drum, a common theme for the event was the universal understanding of Black History Month, not only as a call-out to black students, but to people of all nations.\nDirector of Diversity Education Eric Love said he used his time at the drum for just that. \n"I sound the drum for peace, love and wisdom at IU and across the globe," Love said.\nDwyane Smith, program coordinator of the Neal-Marshall Center, said he chose to send a message to those who were not at the event, hoping that they will choose to take part in other festivities the month has to offer.\n"It is important to attend these events to learn about history and to know where we came from and where we are going," Smith said. "If we don't know our beginning, we won't know how to finish."\nMany events are scheduled in honor of Black History Month, such as the "Black Knowledge Bowl" at 7 p.m. Feb. 16 in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. The bowl will give individuals and teams a chance to test their knowledge of black history by researching and answering questions. \nThe Neal-Marshall Center will also hold "Diverse Voices of Leadership" program at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 24. \nThe center will end the month with the Africana Festival with the theme of "Unity in the Spirit of Diversity." The festival will feature a soul food dinner, keynote address and other activities. For more information about these events, contact Oyibo Afoaku at 855-9271.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Eboni Gatlin at egatlin@indiana.edu.