Friday, Sept. 27

University gives opera 'legs'

Fans of the opera will experience a modern twist on an old format as the IU Opera launches into its spring season.\nWilliam Bolcom's "A View From the Bridge" comes to the IU Opera Theater this weekend and next, showing at 8 p.m. today and Saturday, with additional performances Feb. 11 and 12. \nBolcom gave IU the chance to be the first collegiate program to produce his opera, having done the same in 1996 with his opera "McTeague," which received critical acclaim. \nThe contemporary opera is meant to be very accessible to audiences, said Maria Levy, executive administrator of the IU Opera Theater.\n"Universities can play an important role in giving a new work 'legs' and giving the audience an opportunity to experience it." Levy said. "We produce more operas in a season than most of the regional companies in the United States." \nIn 1999, Bolcom, a Pulitzer Prize-winning composer, debuted "A View from the Bridge" at the Lyric Opera of Chicago. \nVincent Liotta will direct the alternating cast for the four performances. Liotta is the head of the opera stage directing program at IU. Guest conductor William Lumpkin, from the Boston University Opera Institute, will lead The IU Philharmonic Orchestra.\n"We're very lucky to work with Mr. Lumpkin," said Nathan Giem, a member of the Philharmonic Orchestra. "I think IU is the most capable of handling a production like this."\nBolcom has described the opera as "a Greek tragedy played out in the Brooklyn dockyards," according to a press release. It tells the story of Eddie Carbone, an Italian-American dockworker who cares for his niece Catherine along with his wife Beatrice. Two of Beatrice's cousins sail from Sicily to earn enough to support their families and are welcomed by the Carbone family.\nWhen the cousins, Marco and Rodolpho, enter the Carbone household, personalities begin to clash. Conflict ensues when Eddie's niece Catherine falls for the immigrant Rodolpho, and Eddie strongly disapproves. The situation is further muddled by Eddie's ambiguous feelings for his niece, casting light on the dark personalities of several main characters.\n"A View from the Bridge" is based on the play "The Hook," by Arthur Miller in the early 1950s. IU alumnus Robert O'Hearn, who designed the grand, life-size urban setting, said he intends to invoke the sets of Greek tragedies, with their symmetry and color motifs, according to a press release.\n"Hopefully anyone who likes theater should be interested in coming," Levy said. "The libretto for (the opera) is extremely faithful to Arthur Miller's play."\nThe theatrical feel of the opera is enhanced by the chorus, led by the lawyer Alfieri, who narrates the tale.\n"The addition of the big chorus, which acts very much as a Greek chorus, just adds to the drama and suspense," Levy said. "The character of Eddie is truly a tragic figure who is also a sympathetic one; so that the audience can get involved in his tragedy." \nThough the opera differs from others on this season's roster in its modernity, Levy said she hopes it will attract a strong IU crowd.\nScott Skiba, who plays Marco, said he believes the music and language is accessible to a wider audience.\n"I think (the opera) is a little different than the standard operatic repertoire (audiences) are used to," Skiba said. "The libretto comes across well ... (it will be) interesting for the theater crowd to see something of their ilk in an operatic setting."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Josh \nKastrinsky at jkastrin@indiana.edu.