Friday, Sept. 27

'Love scene' conjures awkwardness for actors

Five people, a microphone and a camera are packed into a softly lit bedroom on Stull Avenue. Candles illuminate the three actors on or around the bed as the camera captures their every move. \nSomewhere above the din of the densely packed room, the house's tenants observe the scene from a distance. One of them asks if it is a mature movie. \nThis is a scene from the set of "Conversations With the Almighty," which is proving to be an evening of awkward and surreal moments. The set has moved from screenwriter David Mickler's apartment to halfway across town. \nMickler and director Adam Carroll use the house to depict the lair of the character Lucifer, played by sophomore Dylan Weinberger. In reality, Mickler's friends rent the house, but they let him use it as a favor for this particular scene. \nThe cast and crew form a three-car caravan to travel to the house, which has wooden floors and walls, a hodgepodge of original artwork and a liberal smattering of candles to give it an intimate, rustic feel that suits the scene.\n"(The house was) easy to get to, (the hosts) are friends of ours, and it's a nice space," Carroll said. "(We repay them) by just helping them with their own projects."\nTonight the scene involves some intimate moments between Weinberger's character and Lillith, played by junior Lauren Clemmons. The script requires the two actors to kiss at several points in the scene, which Clemmons said often is awkward.\n"It's always a little weird kissing or doing an intimate scene in front of a bunch of people," Clemmons said. "It's not intimate whatsoever ... because it's like, 'hi, nice to meet you ...let's make out!'" \nMickler said he thought the atmosphere was suitable for the actors.\n"It's important to explain to them that we are all friends, and the place we are working is a comfortable atmosphere," Mickler said. "No one is out to be vindictive or negative. Understanding this idea is essential to creating a warm and comfortable atmosphere."\nMickler said as actors, they simply need to be their characters.\n"What the script calls for is these characters to be dating, in an intimate relationship. If the character is understood, so is the kissing ... Also, the actors are experienced in kissing, so not much coaching is needed there."\nWeinberger provides comic relief to this potentially uncomfortable situation. The shot involves Weinberger brushing his teeth, which he does numerous times throughout the night, to the point where speaking causes toothpaste to dribble from his mouth onto the floor. \nAnother part of the evening's shoot is filming Weinberger in his bathrobe, reading the newspaper while sitting on the toilet. Carroll and Mickler film him from numerous angles, including one where the camera is placed directly in front of Weinberger, taking up all of the available space in the bathroom. Despite being filmed in the bathroom for all to see, Weinberg said he should be allowed to read on the toilet with the door open; he is, after all, the devil. \nInstances of humor help alleviate what could be a tense situation, Clemmons said.\n"Everyone was really relaxed about the whole thing," Clemmons said. "We all just kind of viewed it as another scene in the film and didn't put any unwanted pressure on those of us who were participating in the scene. When you work with people who are relaxed and do their best to make you feel comfortable, it really helps to make the scene easier."\nBoth Carroll and Mickler said they are eager to repay favors in return for the cooperation of the hosts and actors. Carroll said any rides or snacks are not a problem because the actors are doing the project for free.\nMickler said he appreciates all of the people helping during the project.\n"To repay favors, I often start with lots of hugs and thank-yous -- maybe too many, but I mean them all," Mickler said. "Besides, how can I really thank people who are making our dream come true? I will always remember the people who helped and worked on this film. Personally, it means a lot to me at this point in my life."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Josh Kastrinsky at jkastrin@indiana.edu.