Friday, Sept. 27

Local bookstores stock up on new book, prepare for crowds

Local bookstores hosting pre-release Potter festivities.
  • Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble will have many Harry Potter-themed activities for its Friday-night release party. The store will host fortune telling and wand-making stations as well as an owl hunt, a trivia contest and a costume parade. Barnes & Noble will be open until the last customer in the store gets a book. At 12:01 a.m. Rodda will read the first chapter of "The Half-Blood Prince" aloud.

• Book Corner

Book Corner will be open from midnight to 12:30 a.m. to sell the new Harry Potter book.

• Borders

Events at Borders start at 9 p.m. Friday evening. But Holtz encourages customers to come in earlier in the day to reserve a number for their place in line. Borders will have Harry Potter trivia, face painting, and a potion class for kids to make invisible ink and an opportunity to win prizes throughout the night. The winner of the Harry Potter costume contest will get the chance to be the first in line to get the new book. And how late will Borders be open?

"Until every little witch or wizard gets their book," said Holtz.

• Boxcar Books

Boxcar Books will be open from midnight until 12:30 a.m. to sell the new book.

• Howard's Bookstore

Howard's is hosting a BYOP party. "That's 'bring your own pillow,'" said Burns. Beginning around 9 p.m. the store will have a viewing of the movie "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

• Get stories like this in your inbox