Friday, Sept. 27

Bringing spirit to the stage

Windfall youth dance company promotes youth expression

The Windfall Youth Company is focused -- and not just on dancing. A non-profit Bloomington agency, the dance company promotes both artistic expression and service among the city's youth. On August 9 at 7:30 p.m., the talented group will stage their annual performance entitled, Who Moved my Leotard? at the John Waldron Arts Center (122 S. Walnut Street.) \nThe real story is not only in the performance itself, but rather the preparation that goes into making the show possible. Classes run in both the fall and spring, and there is only one big recital in the summer.\n"The season begins in the fall and wraps up with the youth production in the summer," said Program director Andrea Martin. "In the fall semester, the company class focuses on dance improvisation and helping the students learn how to create movement on their own. In the spring, the youth perform with the adult company. In the summer, the youth put on their own \nproduction."\nTeaching children and young adults from ages eight to eighteen, the Windfall Youth Company provides two broad levels of modern dance instruction. In addition to two dance classes per week, students are also required to participate in service activities. As part of their service component, dancers may perform at retirement communities, after-school programs, and the Farmer's Market.\nConstant classes and service activities throughout the year helped develop the students as conscientious dancers. Each summer's show is not only a display of their successes, but of their overall growth.\n"I feel truly honored to be working with such talented young dancers in this show," said Director of Youth Company II Andrea Olges. "I am constantly excited to see their creativity come to life on the dance floor as they come into their own as both dancers and choreographers. Also, this being our third annual youth show, it's been remarkable to watch so many of these girls grow, improve, and develop their own styles from one year to the next."\nTuesday night's culminating performance of the year will feature a wide variety of talents and styles of dance. As students are allowed so much creative control, they are choosing to create a diverse program.\n"Although the youth companies have a modern dance focus, audience members will also see jazz, hip hop, and swing performed at Who Moved My Leotard? Twelve out of the 15 dance pieces were choreographed by youth company members," Martin said.\nIn addition to challenging preparation for the show in classes and technique, dancers have also had to devote a large amount of time to working out the logistics of the performance. Largely student-run, Who Moved My Leotard? will be quite an accomplishment for the Youth Company dancers. The dancers control virtually everything about the show.\n"The preparation for this performance is truly a unique collaborative opportunity for young people in our community. For the last three months, the youth company members have been involved in nearly every aspect of producing a live dance show. The youth chose a show theme, chose music for their dance pieces, created their own movement, taught this movement to the other dancers, and chose lighting and costume designs," Martin said.\nCompany members anticipated the production with a mixture of fear and excitement; whatever happens, they will have created it.\n"The show represents a summation of everything the youth have learned," said company member Alex Harlig. \nTickets for Tuesday night's performance will be $10 for adults, $8 for students and seniors, and $5 for children. Those interested in more information can call 812-334-3100.