Friday, Sept. 27

Fresh, locally-grown produce sprouts up at Farmers' Market

For those seeking only the freshest produce available, the Bloomington Farmers' Market offers locally-grown fruits and vegetables, meat, dairy products and more. \nEvery Saturday from 7 a.m. to noon, local farmers gather in Showers Commons, 401 N. Morton St., and sell their produce. Selections range from the standard tomatoes, corn, watermelons and pumpkins, to more unusual items such as honey, wild mushrooms, herbs, oriental vegetables, persimmons, edible flowers, heirloom peppers, maple syrup and gooseberries. Local bakers also sell their bread at the market, and flowers and bouquets are sold throughout the season.\nSince all the vendors also grow their produce, it is generally picked the day before it is sold, making it as fresh as possible for consumers.\nEach Farmers' Market also features live local entertainment. Saturday's market featured a salsa dance demonstration followed by a salsa contest. This Saturday will feature the sounds of Grist Mill.\nThe Bloomington Farmers' Market began July 26, 1975, with 23 vendors. Since then, the market changed locations three times before finally settling at its present site, which was specially constructed to house it. Today, more than 60 vendors serve the Farmers' Market, and more than 3,500 visitors shop there each week.\nThe Farmers' Market also operates Tuesdays from 3 to 6 p.m. through September. Starting in November, its hours change to 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday. The final meeting before April is Nov. 26, the Holiday Market.\nThe Bloomington Farmers' Market is sponsored by the Bloomington Department of Parks and Recreation. For more information or to contact a specific vendor, e-mail Marcia Veldman, market coordinator, at veldmanm@bloomington.in.gov or call 349-3738.