Friday, Sept. 27

Around the Arts

BPP to serve 'second helpings'

\nWhat: "Second Helpings," Bloomington Playwrights Project Mainstage Series\nWhen: 8 p.m. Thursday through Sunday\nWhere: BPP Mainstage Theatre, 313 S. Washington St.\nMore info: As part of its 25th annual season, the Bloomington Playwrights Project will present "Second Helpings," four one-act plays from previous seasons. The featured shows will be "Hand on Mirror," by Jim Poyser, "Graduation Day" by James Serpento, "Joe's Friendly" by Bruce Gadansky and "Carry On" by Doug Bedwell. Tickets are $15 for the public and $12 for students and seniors. For more information, call 334-1188.

New orchestral season begins

\nWhat: IU Philharmonic Orchestra\nWhen: 8 p.m. Saturday\nWhere: Musical Arts Center\nMore info: The 2005-2006 orchestral season kicks off with the Philharmonic Orchestra. Professor David Effron will lead the orchestra in Feruccio Busoni's "Violin Concerto" (featuring new faculty member Jaime Laredo on violin) and Tchaikovsky's "Fifth Symphony." The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 855-1583.

Film fest stops in Bloomington

\nWhat: Manhattan Short Film Festival\nWhen: 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday\nWhere: Buskirk-Chumley Theater\nMore info: The Manhattan Short Film Festival adds Bloomington to its list of 50 venues in 28 states that will host the event. The nine-day event will culminate Sept. 25 with a finale in New York City's Union Square Park. A public vote will determine for the festival's highest awards. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for the general public. For more information, call 323-3022.