Friday, Sept. 27

Born into Brothels opens eyes, ears

Film increases awareness of child prostitutes in India

Union Board gave patrons a chance during the weekend to step into a completely different environment -- the brothels of Calcutta, India. \nFor the Academy Award-winning film "Born Into Brothels," Zana Briski -- the director, narrator and one of the film's main characters -- journeyed to Calcutta in order to live with the women of the city's red light district. Once there, she found herself bombarded with children. \nHer resulting documentary, "Born Into Brothels," is about her struggle to find them an education and get them out of the brothels. Briski also chose to teach the children a skill -- photography -- with which they could hopefully earn their own money.\n"As soon as (you) go into the red light district, it's a whole separate world," Briski said in the film.\nUnion Board Films Director Atticus Westerfeld is head of the committee that votes on which films will be shown at the Union. The documentary was chosen instead of several mainstream films, including "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and "Crash," Westerfeld said. \nThough other movies might be considered more enjoyable, "Born Into Brothels" could be viewed as a unique cultural learning experience. The Union Board tries to showcase all interests of potential audiences, and the The award winning film met those expectations, Westerfeld said.\n"I personally would like the audience to enjoy the film and I hope that it expands their knowledge of the situation in India and other more impoverished countries of the world. More than anything, I would like the students to enjoy the film for what it is, a film," Westerfeld said.\nReactions to the film were varied, but most were very positive.\n"I loved it. (The film was) very real, an open view of the children's situation. It was not trying to push an idea," junior Peter Soots said.\nA portion of the documentary focused upon the brothels' lack of money and the need for prostitution to support families. At certain intervals during the film, images of stick-thin men, scrawny babies crying for food and children cleaning homes for money conveyed the degree of poverty found in Calcutta.\n"I really liked (the film). It showed how much we have, how privileged we are," sophomore Jenna Atz said.\nThe Union Board will consider showing more movies like "Born Into Brothels" in the future. "Murder Ball" and "Happy Endings" will also be shown during fall semester. They are not international films, but give audiences a chance to view lesser-known releases. The Union Board does not like showing subtitled films in the Wittenberger because it is difficult to see over people's heads, Westerfeld said.\nPhotographs taken by the children in Briski's documentary are auctioned off periodically to raise money; as shown in the movie, the children are rarely ever able to be there, but the money goes towards their futures.\nKids with Cameras, a charitable organization based on Briski's film, is devoted to helping the children of the red light district get out of it. More information can be found at www.kids-with-cameras.org.