Friday, Sept. 27

Spade shows range in stand-up act

On a night full of unexpected events, comedian David Spade took it one step further by veering from his recent trend of celebrity schtick to entertain the audience with observational comedy not often seen by casual fans.\nSpade, currently of "The Showbiz Show with David Spade," provided a one-two punch of standup with "Last Comic Standing" competitor Todd Glass Saturday at the IU Auditorium.\nThe show came on the heels of an IU football victory, which accounted for the three-quarters full venue, despite the soldout show.\n"I was at the football game earlier today," Spade recounted to whoops and cheers from the crowd. "I saw a cute little girl, about 5, wearing a Kentucky shirt. So I kicked her ass -- wrong colors."\nTodd Glass, of "Last Comic Standing" fame, led off the night with sporadic, often nervous commentary and storytelling which focused on everyday observations and self-deprication.\n"Do I look like what would happen if Mel Gibson and Fred Flintstone had an ugly baby?" Glass quipped during his set.\nA parent-heavy crowd was due in part to Freshman Family Weekend, but Glass' crude humor resonated well with the audience, as he touched on genital warts, smoking pot, bad breath and John Goodman.\nGlass' 25-minute set ended with his introduction of Spade, who entered to a standing ovation.\nSpade immediately found support from the college crowd, inquiring, "Is this a dry campus? How the hell did that happen?"\nSpade touched on many subjects early in his act, from "secret" local tavern Nick's to limos ("Oh, you have $80!") to the lack of pornography available at hotels in Las Vegas.\nMuch of Spade's show seemed to revolve around pornography, terrorists and weight issues, but his deadpan charm helped potentially offensive jokes translate into squealing laughter.\nSpade met a warm response when he returned to older material, but he stuck to subject matter that separated him from his previous "buddy film" roles.\nFreshman Emily Stark said she is undecided about Spade as a solo act.\n"I think 'Tommy Boy' brought out the best in (Spade)," Stark said. "It takes a while getting used to him without a partner."\nSpade has made a living out of skewering Hollywood heavyweights, but Saturday's material was much more self-effacing, dealing with his personal and professional life.\nThe act showed considerable breadth in topics, though most were relatively tame, which surprised freshman Dorian Herceg.\n"He held back a little, but that could have been because of the parents," Herceg said. "He has the potential to do a lot worse."\nEven after an opening act, Spade's show was over by 10:30 p.m., which caused some murmurs from the crowd but left them feeling mostly satisfied. \nFreshman Andrew Huey said the show was appropriately priced for the time Spade spent onstage.\n"I paid $80 for Seinfeld tickets and he went on for a long time," Huey said. "I only paid $23 for (Spade), so I got my money's worth"