Friday, Sept. 27

Students present artwork in thesis show

SoFA Gallery shows off BFA/MFA masterpieces

Whether it is a naked wall, a lavender painted wall above scattered purple feathers or a white wall with flashy moving pictures, beautiful and meaningful artwork is often perceived in the eye of the beholder.\nAmongst the indoor air pollution of beer breath and perspiration reeking of cheese, hundreds of students, Bloomington residents and guests attended the MFA/BFA Thesis Show and Fine Arts International Programs reception Friday night in the School of Fine Arts Gallery. Throughout the gallery exhibit displayed from Dec. 7 to 11, several students enjoyed the privilege of art gallery space to demonstrate three years of artistic training molded by the talented minds of SoFA faculty. MFA graduate student Jared Landberg, who had photographs on display, said he enjoys art gallery receptions and attends about one a month.\n"The reception is entertaining," Landberg said. "That's all; it's not really that deep. Everyone comes to a reception for a certain thing. Some people come by themselves to look at things, and that's great."\nSpeaking of art as a community affair, Bloomington resident Jason Tom said he attended the reception because his friend -- BFA student Joseph Taylor also had artwork on display in the lobby of the SoFA Gallery. Tom said he supports the hard work and struggles artists endure to entertain and educate the public.\n"I appreciate the time it took to do this: getting the numbers together, getting the names -- the accuracy of everything is incredible," Tom said. "I think the types of graphs he chose are interesting. It's actually pretty interesting where the (troops) came from. (Taylor), I think, puts a tremendous amount of work into his art. He cares about his country and wants to do something about it. The topic he chose really hit home for a lot of people."\nTaylor's patriotic art display contained several pieces of information -- such as pie charts, maps and graphs -- which contained American soldier identification information about the nation's current war in Iraq. For instance, Taylor's exhibit listed the body count totals of several categories: 190 contractors, 1,300 U.S. soldiers and a map of the hometowns of soldiers. In addition, portrait shots of military personnel killed in combat were broadcast on a large projection screen behind a Plexiglas display of their names.\nFreshman Danielle Orchard, who is studying printmaking, said she enjoys examining the artwork with the rest of the gallery visitors and guests.\n"I would like to know what the artist's influences are," Orchard said while reflecting upon artist Sydney Wallis' artwork "Brimmed to the Living." "I don't know just by looking at it -- it's an interesting piece. I love to see the expressions on people's faces -- it's good for the artist." \nShying away from the glitz and glitter of the artistic spotlight, Landberg said he desires to remain anonymous during nights "like this," while sipping on a cold beer purchased at the make-shift bar outside the SoFA gallery's lobby's doors.\n"This is the third show my artwork has been displayed at," Landberg said. "It's a pretty weird feeling to say the least. Everybody wants to talk to you about it, and you usually don't know much to say about it. Just like a Christmas party -- you don't want to talk about work."\nTom, who works at Nick's English Hut, said he left work early on a busy Friday night to attend the even busier reception.\n"There are probably 10 times more people here than there," Tom said. "It's good to see people come out and check this kind of stuff out. I'm sure it makes the artist feel great."\nProving artists seek out artistic communities, Orchard said she enjoys the campus and city opportunities offered to artists wishing to make or display their artwork.\n"I love art openings; I love to the turnout," Orchard said. "I'm from Ft. Wayne, not exactly a cultural mecca. That's why it was good to come to Bloomington and IU -- to see developing artists. If you look around, most people are paying attention to the artwork and talking about the artwork. It's my dream to be that comfortable to lay yourself out like that: to be judged, to open yourself up to criticism. Exhibitions of your artwork are intimidating; I respect the artists for that."\n-- Contact staff writer David A. Nosko at dnosko@indiana.edu.