Friday, Sept. 27

'Chicks with Dicks' explores tough side of women

You won't hear a peep out of the chicks, but you might hear a scream, catcall, whistle, moan or groan tonight and throughout the month, claims the Bloomington Playwrights' Project.\n"Chicks with Dicks," written by Trista Baldwin and directed by Richard Perez, is billed by the BPP as a tongue-in-cheek B-movie-like play with a nuclear twist chronicling two rival biker-girl gangs that includes kung-fu fighting, hardcore hair-pulling, mud wrestling and leather bustiers. The play premiered at the Empty Space Theatre in Seattle, and the show ran for one year at the Planet Earth Theatre in Phoenix. \nHaving worked with Baldwin on a previous production in town titled "Patty Red Pants," Perez, who is also the BPP artistic director, said he decided to bring "Chicks with Dicks" to Bloomington after witnessing the spectacle during an extended off-off Broadway run at the Kraine Theater in New York City.\n"People could get thrown by the title, but it's an over-the-top parody that is just pure fun. I'm usually attracted to more kitchen-sink types of realism but this is a complete departure from that," Perez said. "There is a thread of reality running through the play -- subtle themes and questions of gender roles, women's solidarity or lack thereof, gang mentalities, family relationships and responsibilities we have to the planet."\nPerez said "Chicks with Dicks" addresses some of the responsibilities of big business as they pertain to the little guy, among other social and cultural themes, like the detrimental effects of pollution on human populations. The plot details the misadventures of Vespa D'Amour, who is a prom queen runner-up that takes control of the all-girl biker gang Satan's Cherries after the accidental death of her sex-shy boyfriend.\n"The play is a big challenge because it questions ideas of morality, but it's been so much fun it hasn't felt that challenging," said actor Amy Wendling, who portrays the character Chantalle of the Satan's Cherries biker gang. "The show is for everybody to have a good time. It's good entertainment and better than staying home and watching television."\nPerez praised the costume contributions of Alexandra Morphet, Mike Price's lighting and Ash Williams's soundscape. He said he experienced a "breath of fresh air" during every rehearsal because of the great talent of the actors and crew.\n"Some of Bloomington's best theater talent is in this show, which has really made my job easy because casting for the director is 90 percent of the battle. I feel very blessed," Perez said. "Plus, this is the first show in the BPP's gorgeous new space, so there is an edgy feel to the action with the fresh paint on the walls. 'Chicks with Dicks' is audience friendly, and on top of that, the show itself is nothing most people have seen before."\nOne of only two male actors in the show, Alexander Gulck, who portrays the Everyman as six different characters, said the other 10 female actors seemed to accept him throughout the theatrical process despite the antagonistic nature of the otherwise feminine-themed plot. He said he expects "Chicks With Dicks" to provide a "sexy-rockin' time" had by all. \n"I can't say I've ever been beaten up so much on stage or off-stage for that matter," Gulck said. "I guess I really relate to the girls and their quest to find love and happiness while dealing with gender issues like having a penis. The audience is going to get their balls blown off so I recommend men wear a cup."\nThe play's plot thickens as the BadSnake biker gang abducts a lifelong friend of the Satan's Cherries. The friend, Cindi, grew up with Vespa next to a nuclear power plant.\nWendling, who described herself as a cherry of the Satan's Cherries, said her French-accented character is "total girl all the way," even though most of the other female characters are rough, rugged and possess sadomasochistic tendencies.\n"I love my character -- she's good, she's bad, she's loving and she's mean," Wendling said. "I am the more self-conscious of the group. I was nervous at first, but after several rehearsals, I got over my fragility. For the more voluptuous women in the cast, this play is a great opportunity to show their stuff. Having a wild character is great for the imagination."\nTo shake up the redundant and monotonous nature to the college weekend party scene, Wendling also recommended interested audience members have a cocktail or two before the 90 minute show to frame the proper state of mind to truly appreciate the comedy.\nPerez said he thinks "Chicks with Dicks" is a show the Bloomington community will relish because of the absurdity of the plot and the real-life connections to daily living.\n"The story is so tongue-in-cheek, over the top, that it pokes fun at things more than playing for heavy situations," he said. "People will come back more than once, and hopefully they will invite family and friends"