Friday, Sept. 27

IU Art Museum adds gift shop, café

Museums are meant for nothing more than standing and viewing art. Right? Wrong. \nOn Tuesday, the IU Art Museum expanded the concept of what can be done at a museum by opening Angles, a gift shop combined with a café.\nDavid Tanner, the Art Museum's associate director for administration, explained the move was made to strengthen the Art Museum's role in the IU educational community.\n"In creating the business plan, we also feel it is important to utilize resources that are environmentally friendly, educational, tie into the Art Museum's collection and support fair trade and equality," Tanner said.\nEmily Powell, the Art Museum's manager of external relations, explained how the move was accomplished.\n"The gift shop that was on the mezzanine was cramped," Powell said. "The second floor opens everything up -- we now have a true kitchen and room to expand."\nPowell also said the merchandise has a role in making the gift shop an attraction.\n"We widened our selection of merchandise," she said. "We wanted jewelry, books, vases and decorations that connect with the collections."\nPowell placed special emphasis upon having the merchandise reflect the Art Museum's collections.\n"Our goal is for people to see the museum in a different light, to actually take the art home with them," she said.\nPeggy Anderson, the gift shop manager, and Chase Potter, the café manager, collaborate in overseeing the workings of the new gift shop/café.\n"This is a one-stop coffee and gift location, similar to the large chain bookstores," Potter said.\nPotter further compared the relaxed atmosphere of the gift shop with the bookstores.\n"It offers a unique ambiance for studying," he said. "There are lots of little study areas on campus, but most of them are not quiet and laid-back -- with food."\nAnderson agreed, adding that the sitting area that used to be in the gift shop's location hasn't really changed in its function.\n"This space was already popular for studying, and people are still studying here and enjoying the space," she said. "We just want people to come in and enjoy it."\nAnderson said the space has not merely maintained its previous crowd but has become even more popular.\n"We've definitely had an increase in traffic beyond our expectations," she said.\nPotter said the café contributes to this increase.\n"All of our sales until noon are mostly from the café," he said.\nPowell said the Art Museum's new gift shop/café changes the face of the museum.\n"This encourages you to sit and relax -- you don't even need to look at the art to enjoy it," she said. "It allows visitors to think of art in a different way"