Friday, Sept. 27

Ultra-short plays wanted for dramatic holiday 'Blizzard'

Bloomington playwrights' group begins new contest

Forget the pumpkin pie and the turkey legs. Sleigh bells are ringing, and winter snow is falling, if only in the mind of the playwright. \nThe Bloomington Playwrights' Project is seeking at least 30 ultra-short plays, three to five minutes or three to five pages in length, due by 5 p.m. Friday for the 2005 Ballot Box Blizzard production titled "Holidazed & Confused." \nIn lieu of the wintry holiday spirit, scripts should deal with a holiday theme -- albeit Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice or any other "winter time" scene -- but playwrights are also encouraged to write about any topic of choice. \n"I encourage all Hoosiers to just do it and turn in a script to see what happens," said Blizzard Producer Rachael Himsel, who is also the BPP public relations director. "It's a great way to get your feet wet in theater and script writing. The show gives writers a great opportunity to see their script performed on a stage, and it is a fun night of theater because the audience gets to choose the winning play."\nBPP Ensemble of Artist members Pat Anderson and Anneliese Toft will join Alexander Gulck in directing 10 ultra-short plays each with a cast of four actors. Himsel said she is looking for scripts that are unique, challenging and entertaining, although any storyline is acceptable as long as the dialogue pushes the action forward.\n"I wrote several pieces last year for the Blizzard so I know how hard it is to write an ultra-short play. Theater to me is about transformation -- learning to work with other people and other personalities," she said. "Theater uses the imagination and creativity toward a greater understanding of our self and each other. Theater can change lives, build self-esteem and provide a sense of community not just for the crew involved, but for kids as well. The sense of satisfaction from a performance is a beautiful feeling."\nInterested playwrights should deliver their scripts to their new location at 107 W. Ninth St., Attention: Rachael Himsel. Scripts need to include the playwright's name, contact information and e-mail address. \nFor more information, contact the BPP at 334-1188 or e-mail Himsel at bppwrite@newplays.org.