Friday, Sept. 27

Colts make it a dozen straight with 35-3 win

INDIANAPOLIS -- If there was any worry about a letdown or a "trap game" after Monday night's emotional win over the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Colts quickly quieted these fears with a 35-3 win over the Tennessee Titans Sunday. \n"I don't believe in 'trap games,' especially in the NFL. These athletes are just too good," said Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who had three touchdowns and 187 yards on 13 of 17 passing attempts as Indy moved to 12-0.\nThe Titans' attempted to play a ball control game in the first half, often snapping the ball with one second left on the play clock, and limiting the Colts' offense to only three first-half possessions. However, the Colts' offense took advantage of its few opportunities, jumping out to a 14-3 lead at the end of the first half on touchdown passes to Marvin Harrison and Brandon Fletcher. \nFrom there, the Colts' offense made it look easy, scoring on a 27-yard pass to Reggie Wayne and a 2-yard touchdown run by Edgerrin James. The Colts' defense capped off the game with a 60-yard Larry Tripplett fumble return for a touchdown.\n"They bled us slowly, went methodically down the field, and didn't miss a beat at all," Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck said.\nSunday's win clinched a playoff berth for the Colts, and kept the team undefeated with four games left in the season.\n"Everybody's buying in to the one-game-at-a-time," said James, who finished with 107 yards on 28 carries and a touchdown. "Coach Dungy is doing a great job of keeping everything in perspective. Everything is strictly on the opponent we have the upcoming week."\nWith Sunday's performance, James became the second-fastest player to rush for 9,000 career rushing yards, behind only Eric Dickerson.\nThe Tennessee offense had chances to score, holding onto the ball about six minutes longer than the Colts, and getting in the red zone several times. But defensive stops by Indianapolis and several Titan mistakes led to only three Tennessee points. \n"I feel like we let (quarterback Steve) McNair down so bad," said Titans wide receiver Drew Bennett, who was among several Titans players who dropped potential touchdown passes in the red zone. \nThe Colts also continued the diversification of their offense as new players continued their recently impressive performances. On Sunday, former practice squad tight end Brandon Fletcher continued the establishing of himself as a new offensive threat, catching his third touchdown in as many games.\n"I thought the guys did really well," said head coach Tony Dungy, whose only complaint was about the Colts' kickoff coverage. \nThe win was also Dungy's 100th win in his 10-year career, placing him as one of only six coaches to ever achieve the mark in their first 10 years as head coach.