Thursday, Oct. 3

Dancing with the Students

Group teaches ballroom, Latin varieties to students, faculty

The break-out TV hit, "Dancing with the Stars," has given social ballroom dancing a fresh new look, leading many to buy a new pair of dance shoes. Ballroom dancing might be a great way to impress family and friends at weddings, class reunions and other social events, but for those with two left feet, it can be intimidating. \nThe IU ballroom dance club, called Dancesport, offers students the chance to learn the art of ballroom and Latin dancing.\nDancesport will hold a call-out meeting and social dance from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday in Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union. The meeting will begin with an hour-long beginner's lesson followed by a social dance, giving newcomers the chance to meet the current members and receive more information about the various classes and practices the club offers. \n"It gives you a self-confidence to do something well, like dancing," said junior Megan Gold, who is a novice in Dancesport. "They can take you from not knowing much at all to learning a lot of different dances in two weeks. It depends on how much time you want to put into it."\nFrom the waltz to the cha-cha, Dancesport instructors teach various standard ballroom and Latin dances in a relaxed environment. Both the serious dancer and newcomers can improve their skills and have the opportunity to take part in competitions.\nDancesport is divided into two parts -- the Dancesport Team and the Social Club. The Dancesport Team is open to dancers of all levels, from novice to experienced, who want to take part in collegiate competitions in the Midwest.\nThe competitive dancers get to work closely with coaches Andrew and Michelle Tate from Indianapolis, said junior and Dancesport President Jasmin Quasniczka. The Tates have an extensive background in social dance and are an important part of the competition team. They were the 2003 United States Amateur National Ten Dance champions, a competition that tested their skills in a variety of ballroom dance styles, according to the Dancesport Web site, www.indiana.edu/~dance. In 2005, the Tates advanced from the amateur to the professional division.\n"(The Tates) are basically the key to the team," Quasniczka said. "They know how to help us win."\nThe social dancing club provides an alternative for those who at first glance see ballroom dancing as a daunting pursuit. As many novice dancers have learned, it is a skill that anyone can learn at any stage of life, said Joe Ehlers, Dancesport staff adviser.\nQuasniczka encourages students to at least try out the club, but to be prepared to practice.\n"You can be successful in a short amount of time as long as you put in the work," Quasniczka said. "It is very easy for someone to start in college and be good by (their) fourth year."\nThe club holds social dances from 9 to 11 p.m. every Wednesday night in HPER 171. It also offers lessons Tuesdays in the Union and Fridays in HPER 171. The lessons, given in five-week sessions, cost an IU student $20 to $30. Faculty and Bloomington residents are also welcome.\n"We really try to make it affordable for everyone," Ehlers said. "We have something for all levels from the beginners to the advance dancers. Plus, you get a lot of exercise while meeting new people and having fun"