Thursday, Oct. 3

locally kept,world acclaimed SECRET

Nationally renowned recording label resides in Bloomington

Epic , Def Jam , Sony BMG, Virgin, Drive-Thru and Atlantic. If you know music then odds are you know what these random names allude to. That's right, record labels. These are just some of the thousands of labels -- monstrous and minute alike -- in the music industry. \nEvery band or singer who wants to make a living off of their talent, dreams of signing with a label that is nationally recognized. But in the midst of those musicians fantasizing about how they'll spend their first million, there are some record labels that emphasize music for music's sake.\nA small, modestly marked office off of Second Street in Bloomington is the backbone to a fair amount of bands these days. Secretly Canadian, Bloomington's own independent music label, hosts an ensemble of eclectic and talented musicians on its bill. \nOn a regular afternoon one can find employees rushing around the Secretly Canadian offices, some wearing Beatles t-shirts and some in black-rimmed glasses. Posters of the labels' signed bands cover a good amount of wall space, boxes of padded envelopes ready to be sent out to the press flood the back room and stacks of CDs hug the walls in many of the offices. But overall, everyone is friendly and the environment is relaxed. \nSecretly Canadian was formed in September 1996 by Chris and Ben Swanson, Eric Weddle and Jonathon Cargill. Cargill returned to IU to get another degree after graduation, and he and Chris met while working together in the Collins Edmonson Dining Hall. Their friendship formed thanks to similar music interests, and the brainchild to launch a label soon followed.\n"That was pretty much where the birth of Secretly Canadian happened," says Cargill, who is the head of publicity.\nBeing a Midwestern label is no easy feat. With most labels being based on the East and West coasts or in Chicago, Secretly Canadian had to start small. The company signed local and regional talent, and since then has grown tremendously after releasing its first seven-inch record by Songs: Ohia.\nCo-creator Chris also setup shop with Darius Van Arman and Jagjaguwar Records was born as well. About 20 to 25 bands have signed with each label. In addition to these two labels, which share office space in Bloomington, Secretly Canadian helps distribute to nearly 15 other labels that are based across the U.S.\n Adding labels has been an important venture to Secretly Canadian over the years, and in the past year the company has grown quickly through distribution of other labels' bands.\n"Strength in numbers," says Nick Blandford, head of sales for distribution. "I interned here and started formally working two and a half years ago. Our staff has nearly doubled since then, from ten to 24 or 25."\nThe warehouse, located in the back of the Secretly Canadian and Jagjaguwar offices, is bursting at the seams with new talent. And the boxes of CDs, stacked high to the ceiling, contain the hard work of bands in connection with Secretly Canadian. \nFrom folk and Americana to art, hardcore and classically-influenced rock, Secretly Canadian signs and distributes a variety of bands that appeal to a wide range of listeners. One label in association with Secretly Canadian is Asthmatic Kitty. It recently put out Sufjan Stevens' sixth lyrical endeavor Come On Feel the Illinoise, which was named www.amazon.com's No. 1 album of the year. The label carries a few local bands including Impossible Shapes, Normanoak and Horns of Happiness.\n"We try as hard as we can to not get pigeonholed," Blandford says. "Because once you do, people start to expect certain things."\nBlandford works in the distribution office at Secretly Canadian, whose job is basically to distribute CDs directly to local stores such as TD's CDs and LPs, 322 E. Kirkwood Ave., and Tracks, 415 E. Kirkwood Ave. The company has also expanded to sell overseas, and began DVD distribution that includes music-related titles and political documentaries. The company traffics a copious amount of mail order through catalogues and the Internet. \n"This gets our stuff in record stores all over the world," Cargill says. \nThere is typically one release date a month for all new CDs. Secretly Canadian also has larger distributors, such as Alternative Distribution Alliance, that move their CDs into larger chains including Borders and Best Buy. These large distributors also handle other relevantly famous independent music labels such as Matador. \nAs for being a profitable venue?\n"We've done well for ourselves," Blandford says with a smile. "Nobody's making a killing off of it. It's a labor of love; every person here does it because they care about it"