Thursday, Oct. 3

Students attend 4th annual Read-In

Students from area high schools filled 250 seats to listen to classmates and IU students perform at the African American Read-In Monday. Original poems, stories and pieces by African American writers were read for the audience.\nThe fourth annual Read-In, which was held in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, was hosted by the School of Education.\nBrandon Reid, a senior at Bloomington High School South, taped the program for his personal use after he was moved by the event last year.\n"It's something I feel I have to do and support because it's a part of my culture and because I'm a black student," Reid said. "I'm here supporting."\nStephanie Carter, professor of language education in the School of Education, organized the event for the fourth year. Carter said she celebrated the national African American Read-In as a high school teacher in Georgia and brought the program to IU.\nCarter said the committee in charge of planning the Read-In started planning almost a year in advance for the program. Area high schools were invited to participate. Students were asked to present a literary piece of work.\n"This is a wonderful opportunity (for students) to showcase who they are and what they do," Carter said. \nThe theme for this year's program was "Reaching Back While 1ericans have a rich heritage," Carter said. "It's important (for students) to reach back ... to achieve great things despite the obstacles they face."\nIU junior Sherhara Williams was asked to emcee this year's event.\n"It's warming that (the committee) thinks I would be a good replacement," Williams said.\nThe event started with the performance of the "Negro National Anthem" by Jeffrey Chubb, head director of IU Voices of Hope. The next highlight of the program was a reading from Darnell Hillman, associate director for the Indiana Pacers. Hillman's speech included the major achievements from black inventors, including the invention of the clothes dryer, light switch and car gearshift.\nAt the end, Hillman addressed the students, encouraging them to focus on their purpose for being in school.\n"You're here for one reason: to get an education," Hillman said. "Be a good citizen."\nSteve Gaskin Jr., a sophomore at IU, prepared his own piece for the Read-In, reciting from memory the long, rhyming passages he had been preparing for weeks. As Gaskin remarked on areas of racism and discrimination in the United States, audience members nodded and shook their heads, recognizing and relating to his message.\n"Don't be a truant, think about what you're doing," Gaskin said to the crowd.\nBefore his performance, Gaskin asked for a moment of silence to remember the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King. Gaskin said part of the importance of the day is to remember those who have already made movements for change. Gaskin said each student performance is part of a bigger appreciation for black culture.\n"We need to remember the people before us," Gaskin said. "When they see their people up there, showing support, that's love."\nDominic Day, a committee member for the Read-In, presented this year's T-shirt to the winning designer, Catherine Caver of Bloomington High School North. During his presentation, Day asked the audience to join hands in unity for the fight for equal rights.\n"We are all in this together," Day said.\nMahogany Hanks, a sophomore at Bloomington High School North, read a poem at the Read-In last year at the encouragement of Kirkland.\n"Dr. Kirkland really encouraged me to read," Hanks said. "It's a good way to celebrate the African American heritage."\nGerardo Gonzalez, dean of the School of Education, closed the program by encouraging young people to read and "think critically" about what they learn.\n"A free mind is the foundation on which all human freedom exists," Gonzalez said. "Only education can set you free"