Thursday, Oct. 3

The Exit will rock IU as O.A.R.'s opener Sunday

To be the opener for the headlining band is no easy feat. There's a lot of pressure to get the crowd excited, and many times the fans see the opening band as little more than a time filler.\n"It's just waiting time," freshman Kristi Hewitt said. "They entertain us while we wait. It's entertaining, but it's not usually that good."\nOn Sunday, O.A.R. will perform at the IU Auditorium. Before the quintet steps into the spotlight, its opening band, The Exit, has the not-so-easy task of energizing the crowd.\nThe Exit's vocalist and guitarist, Ben Brewer, said he's not worried. These self-proclaimed "road warriors" have played 385 shows in the last three years and say they are ready to win over the IU crowd.\n"It will be a kick-ass rock 'n' roll show," Brewer said. "We like to rock out."\nThe Exit, a trio from New York City, released its second album, "Home for an Island," in 2005. Its members include Brewer, vocalist and bass player Jeff DaRosa and drummer Gunnar. Their eclectic sound fuses punk rock, dub reggae and popular hooks to create message-driven music.\n"We want to create an ultimate mix tape every time we make an album," DaRosa said in the band's press release. "You know how people make a shuffle on their iPod? I want to make it feel like, with our record, you don't have to skip around because every song is engaging."\nThe Exit incorporates the events that have defined this generation -- Sept. 11, 2001, and the War on Terror -- into their music, but also include simpler emotions like lost love and hope. Their music is reminiscent of the '60s and '70s and revolutionary artists like Bob Dylan and Bob Marley, both of whom Brewer credits as inspirations. \nDuring the next two weeks, the trio will tour with O.A.R. and in March it will tour with Straylight Run.\nOne would think that playing the same material over and over again would get tiring, but not for these guys. They have figured out how to keep their music fresh.\n"We just believe in the material. And we take it to a new place and improvise," Brewer said. "It's all about your attitude and we just try to play great sets."\nSo what does the die-hard O.A.R fan expect out of the concert?\n"To enjoy myself, have a good time," Hewitt said. "And to have the crowd be responsive and get into the show."\nThe Exit is more than ready for the challenge, and maybe O.A.R. fans will walk away with a new band to add to their iPods.\n"I can't tell (the fans) to expect anything but we will rock 'n' roll," Brewer said. "People generally get down to us and we'll have a good time."\nTickets to the show can be bought through www.Ticketmaster.com or the IU Auditorium.