Friday, Sept. 27

Immigration bills, bills, bills

Can you imagine a future where colossal concrete walls lines the U.S. borders and, in fear of economic contamination, immigrants are chased out like invading bacteria? \nIt's a sci-fi movie-like reality but it could actually come to pass if recent immigration legislation becomes law. \nHowever, opposing voices are getting louder. \nDissent was in the air last weekend culminating in the form of nationwide demonstrations. Both immigrants and non-immigrants organized themselves in various big cities. \nHalf a million people flooded downtown Los Angeles. It was the largest gathering of people in recent history. During the same weekend tens of thousands attended other protests in cities like Denver, Phoenix and Milwaukee.\nCongress passed a bill last December that would treat people who cross the border illegally as felons. But is finding work in a country you were not born in really that serious?\nLike the poverty-stricken mother who steals milk in order to feed her starving baby, illegal immigration is a victimless crime. The large majority of illegal immigration cases involve an adult leaving behind an impoverished family in order to work in the United States and send money home. Usually when enough money is earned they rejoin their families. \nThis same bill would also impose stricter penalties on employers of illegal immigrants as well as require churches to verify legal status of parishioners before giving help.\nAnyone found helping an illegal immigrant would be penalized. \nWhat's next? Allowing police officers to randomly ask "suspicious" citizens for their birth certificates or passport? \nI can see it now. People will be stopped for "driving while possibly a Latino illegal immigrant." Let's just hope things don't come to that.\nAs for illegal immigrants already in the country, the Senate will soon review a bill proposed by President Bush himself that would create a new guest worker program. This means it will allow illegal immigrants the opportunity to work legally for a temporary amount of time. \nThis program could also lead to citizenship, an aspect of the program that has the Republican Party split. This can be viewed as a type of amnesty, which many Politicians believe rewards illegal behavior. Pro-immigrant critics of the bill believe it will create a foreign underclass and lead to discrimination at work. \nIt will cause more of an "us versus them," attitude than already exists.\nAnother aspect of immigration legislation that is gaining popularity with politicians is the construction of a wall along a proposed 700-mile stretch of the border. Mexican President Vicente Fox calls the proposed wall "discriminatory" and "shameful." So much for the good neighbor policy.\nWhatever legislation politicians decide to pass I hope that they pay attention to the words and numbers of the protests because they don't stop here. \nApril 10 has been designated the "National Day of Action," by various Latino and immigrant groups across the country. If last weekend was any indication, I look forward to seeing Immigrants and non-immigrants in Bloomington and nationally marching for a less frightening future.