Thursday, Oct. 3

Around the Arts

'Tranny Roadshow' extravaganza tonight in IMUG

\nAs part of the National Day of Silence, the Union Board is holding the Tranny Roadshow at 7 p.m. tonight in the IMUG at the Indiana Memorial Union. Admission is free.\nTranny Roadshow is a multimedia performance art extravaganza, composed of an eclectic group of artists, each one self-identified as transgender, according to a news release. There will be a question-and-answer session following the show. \nThe program will include poets, rappers, filmmakers, storytellers, break dancers, rock bands, comedians, actors, folk singers, photographers and more. \n

Film series encourages young Americans to 'Film your issue'

\nFYI - Film Your Issue, an "issue film" competition inviting young Americans 18 to 26 to add their voices to the public dialogue on contemporary issues via 30- to 60-second films, has extended its deadline for submission of films to May 21, according to a news release. \nThe short digital films can be live action or animated and about any current political or social concern about which the filmmaker is passionate.\nFilmmakers can also choose from five suggested sub-categories, which will offer additional presentation platforms to winners including: global issues/UN millennium development goals; animal welfare; arts as a global diplomat and cultural bridge; music-driven, featuring solo, band or music-video-style film in which music presents the issue; and integration of film and new media.\nTwo top finalists will each be offered a paid internship at Paramount Pictures and The Walt Disney Company. MSN Spaces, which sponsored the launch of FYI - FILM YOUR ISSUE during Festival Season 2006 in Park City, Utah, will sponsor the top finalists to attend Festival Season 2007 and present their entries.\nThe top finalist in each of the six categories will also be broadcast on MTV and MSN affiliates and will be invited guests, along with their faculty advisers, to the closing reception at the United Nations headquarters in New York City on June 26. The top finalists in each category will also receive a Motorola RAZR V3 mobile phone and Toshiba Qosmio notebook, and their entries will be showcased at the Maui Film Festival in June 2006. The Vail Film Festival in April 2006 will offer the first look of 2006 entries.\nInterested filmmakers should visit www.filmyourissue.com to get more information, sign up for updates, register and submit films. \n

National art exhibit seeks entries

\n"Destination Anywhere," a national exhibit for young artists with disabilities ages 16 to 25, seeks entries by July 14. "Destination Anywhere" challenges artists to consider the picture as a destination, a place where the viewer might take a trip he or she never expected, according to a news release. Fifteen finalists will be awarded a total of $60,000 during an awards ceremony on Capitol Hill and artwork will be displayed in a nation-wide touring exhibit that will debut at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. Abstract work that relates to feelings or emotions, or an experience of living with a disability and its role in shaping or transforming the destination is also encouraged. Art must be an original work that has been completed in the last three years.\nEligible media include paintings, drawings, fine art prints, photography, computer-generated prints and mixed media. Artwork must be presented in two dimensions and should not exceed 60 inches in either direction. There is no fee to apply. Visit www.vsarts.org/VWcall for additional information and entry instructions.