Thursday, Oct. 3

'Holy Spirit on Grand Avenue' premieres tonight

A boy stabs a girl 22 times, killing her. Years later, three friends discuss her life, death and the changes that emanated from the tragedy. This is part of the premise of "Holy Spirit on Grand Avenue," a first-run play from the Bloomington Playwrights Project, which premieres at 8 p.m. \nWritten by award-winning playwright Toni Press-Coffman, "Holy Spirit" centers around three friends who share a life-changing experience from their distant past. They discuss their feelings about the death and how it continues to change their lives. Also in the play are the ghost of the deceased girl, Diana, and her murderer, a 16-year-old boy.\n"I hope it will make them think," said assistant \ndirector and IU senior Lauren Pope. "There are so many shows that are just entertaining and you walk out and it doesn't make you think about anything. A week later, you're not thinking about it anymore."\nNick Palmer, a sophomore at Harmony School who plays Diana's killer, agreed. \n"I think there are a lot of things you have to think about. It is philosophical," he said.\nStage manager Chase Potter explained that the play is about Judaism, Catholicism, the 1950s and the 1970s. \n"There's something for every demographic," he said. "It's new and it's different, but it doesn't require a lot of research on the part of the audience. It's accessible."\nThis BPP production has the added excitement of being the play's first performance ever. \nPress-Coffman wrote the play for the BPP, Pope said. \n"I think that's very unusual. It's nice to have a piece of new theater premiered right here," she said. \nThis first-run excitement also brings some challenges, Potter said. \n"You can't check out the video from the library to check out their set design or prop list," he said. "There are still changes being made for continuity in the script."\nStill, the cast and crew say they are excited about and proud of the presentation. \n"There's an 11-year-old girl who has more lines than anyone," junior Lindsey Charles said. "I want people to see the hard work that everyone has put into the play."\nIn addition, there are a few opportunities to meet the playwright, cast and crew this weekend. The BPP is giving theater fans a chance to meet \nplaywright Toni Press-Coffman and the director, Richard Perez, at a pre-performance dinner at the Scholars Inn from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The cost for the Prix Fixe Dinner is $40 per person and will benefit the BPP.\nThere is also a talk-back Saturday evening after the show where the cast and crew will be meeting with audience members to discuss the production and their reactions, Pope said. Those involved want to encourage everyone to participate in a deeper discussion of the play.\nLindsey Charles, who plays one of the surviving three friends, said she sees the play as a great chance for community members to view a rare event in local theater. \n"Local theater is everywhere and it is awesome. Take advantage of it all that you can,"\n"Holy Spirit on Grand Avenue" will run at 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and April 20 to 22 and 27 to 29 with a matinee at 2 p.m. this Sunday on the BPP main stage at 107 West Ninth St. Tickets are $15 or $12 for students and seniors. For ticket reservations to the play or the Prix Fixe Dinner, call 334-1188. For more information, visit the BPP Web site at www.newplays.org.