Thursday, Oct. 3

Pakistani man dons dress, makeup to become praised talk-show diva

Cross-dresser aims to empower women on show

KARACHI, Pakistan -- Born a boy, Ali Salim long prayed to God to make him a girl. Years later, he is the most famous female TV identity in this devoutly Muslim, male-dominated country, even if his physiology remains unchanged.\nSalim's chiffon-wearing alter ego, Begum (Mrs.) Nawazish Ali, has become an overnight star, using style and pomp to confront prickly topics with Pakistani politicians, Islamic religious figures and celebrities, posing questions that more established journalists routinely steer clear of.\nHe's reminiscent of Dame Edna, Australian Barry Humphries' famous alter ego of stage and TV, but says his character was not inspired by the more slapstick Australian.\n"I have heard about Dame Edna and have also gone to his (Humphries') Web site, but I am not motivated by his show," Salim, 27, said. "I do it in my style and he does it in his."\nBut like Dame Edna, Salim's teasing, sarcastic and docile style has allowed him to tackle head-on the discrimination women face in Pakistan's male-dominated society.\n"My show is about empowering women psychologically," Salim told The Associated Press on the set of his popular show, which is filmed in Karachi, Pakistan's largest city.\n"I am trying to show people that there is no difference between men and women. I have no gender bias. Men and women are equally capable of doing the same sorts of things, except for their reproductive roles."\nSince first airing eight months ago, "Begum Nawazish Ali Show" has built up a massive following, particularly among younger Pakistanis such as college graduate Saima Kareem, 23, who says Salim "is asking hard questions of people who otherwise are untouched on other TV shows."\nWhile very popular, Salim's show has ruffled some feathers in this male-dominated country where Islamic customs generally frown on cross-dressing.\n"We decided to create a larger-than-life character to host a talk show where the (host) would be flirtatious and look good so she would be on a strong footing with her guests," Salim explained. "She can intimidate her guests and break through their tough exteriors to reach the inner person that he or she is."\nOn the set of a recent show, film producer Rashid Khawaja pondered whether his host could be cast as a heroine for a future movie.\nDeep into his character as Mrs. Nawazish, Salim curled his lipsticked mouth and suggestively replied: "Well, I don't want a small one, I want a BIG one," before clarifying the remark with: "I don't mean that kind of role, I mean a role in the film."\nNaimatullah Khan, a former Karachi mayor and Islamic political leader, said he did not even know Salim was a man when he went on the show.\n"Although I had the chance to say what I had in mind, I do have reservations on the way he conducts himself and talks," Khan said. "I don't think this is good to perform like this. It is not very acceptable in our society."\nDressed in character (sleeveless, low-necked, blood-red chiffon gown) for an interview with The Associated Press, Salim said he grew up surrounded by women -- his divorced mother and her women friends.\n"Ever since I was a child I used to fantasize about growing up to be a woman," he said. His role models were such former prime ministers as Pakistan's Benazir Bhutto, Margaret Thatcher of Britain, "and all other famous women of that time."\nSalim said his character helps put a modern face on his nation of 150 million people, which usually captures world attention with coups, earthquakes and war.\n"Begum Nawazish Ali represents the aspiration of all Pakistanis who want a modern, progressive Pakistan," Salim said. "She is the face of an enlightened, moderate Pakistan."\nSalim said he plans one day to marry but only once he finds a partner of equal intellectual capacity.\n"I am a man performing as a woman," he explained. "I don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend either."\nKhalid Farshori, a senior media commentator in the weekly magazine Akhbar-e-Jahan, said Salim's show is a ground-breaker that will encourage other channels to "come out with some brilliant ideas to amuse viewers fed up with the monotonous types of shows we have here."\nSalim said he gets nothing but praise from his viewers, even after they realize he's not really a woman.\n"Not a single hate mail or threatening call," he said. "Now people greet me on streets and show me love and respect"