Thursday, Oct. 3

Shirking studies, students pack IU Auditorium for Wilco concert

Students packed the IU Auditorium last night for the Union Board's Little 500 Concert featuring Wilco.\nThe Monday night scheduling did nothing to damper students' enthusiasm, as they opted for Wilco's brand of rock 'n' roll over homework obligations.\nGraduate student Paul McCorkle attended the concert after a positive experience at a previous Wilco show.\n"We should be working on a final project right now," he said of he and his friends.\nMike Morrin, another graduate student, expressed similar sentiments.\n"Finals are really cracking down, but they're such a great band," he said.\nWilco took the stage for an audience that was already on its feet, and the crowd remained that way for the show's entirety.\nWith a slight wave to the boisterous crowd, lead singer Jeff Tweedy began Wilco's set with "Airline to Heaven," before drawing a huge cheer by altering the lyrics to their second song of the night, "Kingpin."\n"I want to be your kingpin, living in Bloomington," he sang.\nImprovisation is a trademark of the group and one many IU fans found appealing.\n"Any band that can play their tunes in a way other than what is on the album is a good band," said graduate student Fred Norton. "This band is right on the pulse of what's going on (in music) right now."\nMorrin also had words of praise for Wilco.\n"I feel they're a very progressive band," he said. "They push the scene of rock 'n' roll to a whole new level through experimentation and lyrics the audience can identify with."\nNick Martin came from Purdue for the show.\n"We're skipping classes to be here, so there's dedication involved," he said. "This is the first time I've been here, and I'm kind of enamored by the whole IU scene."\nAlmost every song drew a loud response from the enthusiastic crowd, and Tweedy took notice.\n"All right! This is the kind of rowdiness we were warned about!" Tweedy yelled at one point as students jumped chairs and aisles in an effort to get closer to the stage. The singer said the band read online that it should be prepared to deal with drunken fans as it helped kick off IU's Little 500 week.\nWhen security guards intervened to send audience members back to their seats, Tweedy seemed dismayed.\n"They give it to you, then they take it away," he said.\n"He was really right," sophomore Randy Gilley said of the comment. "Those are the rules of the 21st century."\nStill, Wilco seemed determined to play rock 'n' roll its way. The group balanced its familiar, softer songs, like closer "California Stars," with a set that saw all three guitarists taking turns playing raucously loud solos that at times literally shook the auditorium.\n"It's Little 5 week," said sophomore Laura McChesney. "You gotta party"