Thursday, Oct. 3

WIUX concert to rock Dunn Meadow Saturday

Concerts can be an expensive proposition for many students, but IU's student-run radio station WIUX is bringing free live music to campus.\nWIUX is holding its annual Culture Shock music festival from noon to 11 p.m. Saturday in Dunn Meadow.\n"Bloomington has a very storied music scene," said Brian Kerr, WIUX special events director. "A lot of good bands are coming out of Bloomington, but it's sometimes hard to find out about them. Culture Shock is one way to expose these bands to everyone." \nSince 1991, WIUX, formerly WIUS, has held Culture Shock to help introduce the IU community to some of Bloomington's most popular local bands. Even though the station has recently gone through a major transition, switching from AM to FM and changing its name to 100.3 WIUX, it has kept the Culture Shock tradition alive.\n"It is an end of the year celebration for the radio station," Kerr said. "There are some really fantastic bands coming and I couldn't be happier with the lineup." \nThis year Culture Shock will feature 13 bands with local favorites and a few regional and national acts. The event is set up with two stages, so as soon as one band is finished, another will begin, allowing for one nonstop stream of music blaring from Dunn Meadow. \n"It's going to be a fantastic event," said Josephine McRobbie, WIUX music director. "We have a great roster of bands that are really representative of the bands we have here in Bloomington." \nThe lineup includes fan-favorite Koufax, an indie-rock band that has been busy touring the United States. Fans can hear them live on Culture Shock's main stage at 2:25 p.m. Other popular acts on the roster include Mysteries of Life, Harry and the Potters, and Jackie-O Motherf***ker, among many others. \nUnion Board's Live From Bloomington is co-sponsoring the event because it says it is a great way to promote local and independent bands. \n"Nowadays it's very competitive, there are a lot of bands in Bloomington," said Tracy Johnson, Live From Bloomington director. "People may look at the Culture Shock lineup and not know anyone on it, but it's a chance for everyone to become familiar with these great bands." \nIn addition to the hours of live music, Culture Shock will have a CD sale and canned food drive. The WIUX radio has cleaned out its station house and will be selling unused CD and vinyl collections. All canned food donations will be given to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank.\nEven if the weather is bad, WIUX's Culture Shock will continue to rock on. If the weather conditions are too poor for the bands to play outside, the concert will be moved indoors to Rhino's on South Walnut Street. The concert is free to the public all day long.