Thursday, Oct. 3

A provoking 'Christmas'

It's Christmas Eve, and the Flannigans have all returned to the farm to celebrate the holidays. It seems like a normal family gathering until we learn about the family's past, including the murder of their father 20 years before. \n"Christmas Eve at the Flannigans," by local playwright Mike Smith, is the provoking and suspenseful story of a Wisconsin \nfamily.\nThe youngest of the Flannigan children doesn't remember much of the family tragedy. IU student Jessica Rothert plays Sharon, the medical school student searching for answers about her family's tainted past. She inquires about the family history and unearths a multitude of memories. George, an old family friend, stops by for the night and provokes an evening of discovery and continued tragedy.\nThe five-member cast conveyed an excellent sense of intimacy and chemistry. It was easy to see these seasoned actors invested countless hours preparing for opening night. Diane Kondrat played Mother Flannigan, a 63-year-old woman haunted by ghosts from her past -- mainly her deceased husband. Kondrat's performance was fantastic; she brought warmth to the character you may not expect from a mentally unstable widow.\nJeff Stone, who played George Smith, gave another outstanding performance. George is a man traveling the world in search of the truth. He went to India, Mexico and many other countries searching for spiritual enlightenment and release from the burdens of his past. \nHe finally returned to Wisconsin to expose his secret -- a secret the Flannigan children wish to protect -- and free himself from his past. Stone played George with a great air of wisdom and spirituality, making him one of the play's most endearing characters.\nMike Smith's superb writing made the performance fly by; the play runs slightly over two hours with intermission, but you would never know it sitting in the audience. The mix of heartfelt discussion and passionate argument between the family members makes this play seem very realistic -- like we're actually looking in on a family reuniting at Christmas. Smith also throws a few twists into the plot that may surprise even the quickest theatergoers.\n"Christmas Eve at the Flannigans" is a great way to spend a summer evening in Bloomington. \nYou'll laugh, think and be completely surprised at this suspenseful performance.