Thursday, Oct. 3

Local production brings Christmas to John Waldron Arts Center Friday

It may seem out of season, but Christmas comes early this year with a locally written and produced show opening Friday at the John Waldron Arts Center. \nWritten by Bloomington local Mike Smith, "Christmas Eve at the Flannigans" is about a family living on an isolated Wisconsin farm 20 years after the murder of their father. When a stranger arrives, important details of the past are discovered. \nWounds are healed and the past is forgiven -- briefly.\nJeremy Wilson, a recent IU graduate, directs the cast. Diane Kondrat, Mark McIntyre, Amanda Scherle and Jeff Stone are all long-time Bloomington residents. Jessica Rothert, a \nsenior at IU, completes the five-member cast. \n"(Being the only student in the cast) was a little intimidating at first," said Rothert, "but the cast has been nothing but warm and encouraging. They don't assume that my age translates to a lack of experience. I have learned a lot from all of my cast members ... We really have a nice give and take relationship onstage as well as off," Rothert said.\nRothert also added that the size of the cast enabled the performers to become very close, continuing the family atmosphere off-stage. \n"We are playing a family, and we act like a family. Even when we are offstage I still call Diane 'Mom,' and I call Mike, Jeff, and Amanda 'brother' and 'sister.'"\nHaving the playwright in town and available to help the production process has helped the cast convey exactly what the writer intended, Rothert said. She also commented that working closely with the creator added a sense of community that may not be reached with other shows.\n"Christmas Eve at the Flannigans," is presented by the Bloomington Area Arts Council and Wolf-Turtle Productions. Performances are at 8 p.m. May 19, 20, 25-27, and June 1-3. Matinees are at 2 p.m. May 21 and 28. All shows will be held in the Rose Firebay at the John Waldron Arts Center. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for students. They may be purchased by phone at 336-0413, online at www.artlives.org or at the door.