Saturday, Oct. 12

Young takes on the system

It's been almost 40 years since Neil Young released his self-titled debut solo album, yet the 60-year-old is as relevant today as artists half his age. \nThroughout his career speaking his mind is something Young has never shied away from, commenting on anything from politics, to the environment, to drug use in pop culture; as evident in Young's response to the infamous Kent State shootings in 1970's "Ohio" as well as his grief laden lament for the overdose deaths of two friends in 1975's Tonight's the Night. \nHis newest release, Living With War, is quite possibly the most blatant political album of Young's 40 year career. It's a protest album that directly criticizes just about everything from the war in Iraq and Hurricane Katrina relief to the Patriot Act and steroid allegations in baseball.\nThe album begins with "After the Garden" which immediately sets the political tone that dominates the entire album. In the so ng, Young makes his stance extremely clear. "Won't need no stinkin' war," he sings in his trademark quivering vocals 0:30 seconds into the album.\nThe title track describes Young's discontent with the present morale of the country and the fact that war is on the minds of so many people. Even though the rocker was born in Canada, he shows his true love and patriotism for the USA by quoting lines from "The Star Spangled Banner" in the song.\n"Let's Impeach the President" again makes patriotic references by starting off with the opening bars of "Taps." Perhaps Young's most direct attack at President Bush, the song accuses the president of lying to US citizens, bending facts regarding the war in Iraq and tapping citizens' phone lines, among other charges. The song culminates with a series of actual audio clips of contradictory George W. Bush quotes on the war in Iraq played between Young singing "flip…flop."\nThe political subject manner continues in "Lookin' For A Leader," a song which couples a distorted guitar riff with a call for a change in the leadership of America. According to Young we need someone to "clean up the corruption/and make the country strong." Young cries out against the status quo of what's acceptable for a presidential candidate. "I hope he hears the call/and maybe it's a woman/Or a black man after all."\nMusically the album as a whole is not much of a stretch from Young's signature distorted grunge sound he made famous with Crazy Horse. However, Living With War might turn off many listeners with its incessant opinionated views and has already drawn criticisms from detractors over the fact that Young isn't even an American born citizen. Nevertheless, it is refreshing to see an artist not afraid to speak out even at the ripe age of 60.

\n--Ryan McLaughin