Thursday, Oct. 3

Bloomington Playwrights volunteer moves from paint chips to performance

IU senior shows talent through various channels

She has done everything from building sets to stuffing programs, to starring in mainstage productions. Senior Joanne Dubach is addicted to the theater.\nPlaywright Hal Kibbey remembers two years ago when Dubach first came to the Bloomington Playwrights Project's old building at 312 S. Washington St., and immediately picked up a brush and a can of paint. \nDubach said the theater was three blocks away from the house she then lived in. One night after grocery shopping, the senior theater major with no acting experience stopped by. \n"I was thrilled to be a part of a production, even though I was just running around flicking wet paint at the floor," she said.\nDubach became very involved very quickly. She spent some time doing odd jobs around the theater. \n"I tried to volunteer a couple of times a week, mostly stuffing envelopes and making copies," she said. "It wasn't as fun as flicking paint, but it gave me a better idea of all the office work that goes into a non-for-profit theater." \nDubach is described by BPP Artistic Director Richard Perez as being "down to earth." \n"Some actors feel like they are only meant to be on the stage, but we rely extensively on our volunteers, so Joanne is invaluable," he said. "She sees the big picture."\nAt the encouragement of several staff members she soon was cast for a small role in the Dark Alley production, "Flaws." \n"She had a supporting role in the second scene," Kibbey said. "It was not an easy role to play. She had to be and stay positive. But she understood and did well. During the scenes when she was not on stage, she was backstage, helping the other actress with her costume. No one asked her to do that."\nDubach's career as an actress took flight after this performance. She starred in the mainstage production of "The Wives of Mannheim," and also played in the highly successful production of "Chicks with Dicks," a role she said helped her to grow as an actress in front of audience.\n"I walk into auditions and everyone is dressed in miniskirts and fish nets. I felt okay about my audition until they asked everyone to go on stage by themselves and do some improv 'go-go dancing,'" Duach said. "I became flustered and did some timid twisting. I thought I had blown it ... (but) I found out that I had gotten a part ... I danced on tables through much of the play ... I started to put a chair in front of my mirror every day. Then I would pull the shades down, turn the music up and dance the night away with myself. I learned how to throw caution to the wind"