Thursday, Oct. 3

Campus, art museum offer array of high-impact art

Craving high-impact art? Don't flee to a big city or Google photos on your computer - IU's campus offers pieces in an inviting environment.\nIndiana art is represented in several places on campus. Three of the places on campus that are home to art made in Indiana are the IU auditorium, the IU Art Museum and the Indiana Memorial Union. Without the burdens of travel, one can experience how artwork represents the state's larger natural beauty. From the rolling sand of the Indiana Dunes in northwest Indiana to the lush greenery in the south, Indiana seems to fully inspire native artists. That artwork is visible right here at IU.\n"It is important for every region to identify itself with its own artwork in order to preserve our cultural identity," said Heidi Gealt, Director of the IU Art Museum. \nHere are some starter pieces for the art-hungry Bloomingtonian. These pieces provide only a starting point to world available at the IU Art Museum and around IU's campus. Despite one's preferences, Gealt said, it is important that the viewer realize the beauty of one's own backyard. \n"We have often looked to the rest of the world for art culture and ignored our own heritage," she said.

The Boatman\nOne of Indiana's most visible artists was T.C. Steele, who created the piece, "The Boatman," which can be viewed at the IU Art Museum. The detailed human structure displayed in this piece is phenomenal and so realistic that it seems to be three-dimensional. This piece shows an old man boating on a gloomy, dark day and looking out into the waters as if in deep thought. The man is wearing no shirt, which causes his entire upper-body muscle structure to be viewed. Every detail of his muscles, which are hard at work rowing, are visible. T.C. Steele also painted the man's veins in so much detail that it amazes the viewer. One can become captured in this piece, if not by the wonderful artistic ability, then by the emotion that is shown in the man's face and structure. \nSteele actually made "The Boatman" while studying in 1884 in Munich, Germany. Still, as many Indiana residents are, Steele was drawn back into Indiana and even refused to let the academy in Munich keep the piece. Instead, he had it shipped back to Indianapolis. While being displayed in Munich, the piece was judged by the school's faculty and won the prestigious Silver Medal. More of Steele's artwork can also be found in the Indiana Memorial Union.

The Anvil\nAnother piece that can be found in the museum is by William T. Wiley, called, "The Anvil". Wiley was also raised in Indiana and a long-term resident of nearby Bedford. "The Anvil" is made from several materials including bronze, steel, brass, lead and wood. The piece sits on a wooden stump and looks like an anvil with a sword pierced through it. There is a big key attached to a chain, which actually opens the anvil. "The Anvil" also has a slot in it, which may not be obvious at first, but after studying it longer, one will notice that the anvil is actually a type of coin bank. The idea is that with the key, one can pull out the sword that holds the bank together, leaving it open. \nNot only is the actual structure of this piece interesting, so are the cryptic words engraved on its base. There are four puzzling messages on the piece. One of these -- "Get the Point" -- is understated, yet provoking. Another is "A Bank You Can Bang On". It is possible that these markings make statements about life in general, but also are ironic since the sword has a point and the bank can be banged on since it is primarily bronze and copper. Or it is possible that the piece is merely an updated version of the sword in the stone.