Thursday, Oct. 3

Alumnus serves up cereal, toppings at new local eatery

Cereal fans take note: The classic snack isn't limited to just milk and cornflakes anymore. \nWith the opening of the new Cereal Barn and Peanut Butter Cafe, 408 E. Sixth St., cereal can now come with everything from crushed cookies to trail mix and even mini marshmallows, anytime of the day. \n"The whole concept here is fun food-- comfort food that's not complicated," said owner Mark Wilson. "Kids like comfortable places that remind them of home, and I think that's one thing we can do." \nThe restaurant, which opened Aug. 2 in the former space of the Bizarre Cafe, features more than 30 different types of cereal and 20 toppings to go along with them.\nIt also grinds its own peanut butter and lets patrons customize peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for another familiar snack option.\nInside the barn-themed restaurant, the ordering process is simple: Step up to the counter, choose a cereal or sandwich and point to the jars of toppings. \nNothing's off limits, Wilson says. \nWant Froot Loops and chocolate chips? Go for it. Special K and raisins? That's fine, too. \nA junior bowl is $2.50, and a big bowl is $3.25. Both include up to two different types of cereal and two toppings. Wilson says one of the most popular combinations has been \nGolden Grahams and \nCinnamon Toast Crunch topped with mini marshmallows. \n"It's fun stuff," Wilson said. "It doesn't have to be just healthy. It doesn't have to be just sweet, either. It can be whatever people want." \nThe idea for the restaurant came after Wilson, a former IU rowing team coach, and his wife, an IU cross country coach, felt a need for an eatery where people could relax but not feel obliged to purchase a large meal. \nHe initially wanted to open a franchise of Cereality, a national chain of cereal bars. But that was two years ago, before the company began franchising across the country. \nSo Wilson decided to step out on his own. \nHe quit his job as a boat salesman in February and delved into the effort, taking care to create logos and designs that seek to make the store look as if it were part of a brand. \nHe expects the store to be profitable in six months and says he's already looking at opening more locations in cities like Indianapolis, West Lafayette, Cincinnati or Dayton, Ohio. \n"I don't sit around very long," he said. "We've had a lot of people come in and ask if we're a chain, and that's a huge compliment to us." \nThe atmosphere of the store, with its hardwood floors, light blue ceiling, colorful menu names -- "the cereal silo" -- and games like Chutes and Ladders is all part of the effort to make

the store whimsical, Wilson said. \nHand-painted murals by scenic designer C. David Higgins, chair of IU's Department of Opera Studies, complete the theme with images of picket fences, giant trees and farm scenes. \n"That's what we want is to have a fun, bright, cheery place," Wilson said. \nOn a sunny Sunday afternoon, School of Public and Environmental Affairs graduate student Ben Carollo sat at a small table in the room with a bowl of Froot Loops and Frosted Flakes livened up with almonds and raisins. \n"I like lots of different kinds of cereals," he said. "This saves me from having to buy a box and be stuck with it." Plus, he said, it's more exciting than eating at home.\n"It's fun. You aren't restricted"