Thursday, Oct. 3

Around the Arts

Works of Wllm Shkspr (abridged)plays in Nashville

WHEN: 8 p.m. now through Aug. 27, Wednesdays through Sundays (Sunday performances at 3 p.m.) \nWHERE: Brown County Playhouse, 70 Van Buren St. South, Nashville, Ind. \nMORE INFORMATION: Written by Jess Borgeson, Adam Long and Daniel Singer, and including three IU students in its cast (Nick Arapoglou, Chris Hatch and Derek Dion), the third production of the 58th season of professional summer theater offers a journey through all 37 of the band's masterpieces. \nJohn Kinzer, director of audience development for the department of theatre and drama, said one doesn't need to be familiar with Shakespeare's works to enjoy the show's intended humor.\n"The audience can expect to see theatre professionals roasting the most revered playwright in the English language with complete abandon," Kinzer said in an e-mail. "It is purely fun to watch the three incredible actors in a comic tour de force having the time of their lives making fun of some plays that may have seemed daunting before seeing the show."\nThe actors, who play a total of 75 characters, occasionally come out into the audience, making the show "an interactive comedy," Kinzer said.\nDale McFadden, the production director, said in an e-mail the humor ranges from satire to dry wit, and it encompasses many styles, including the sketch comedy of Saturday Night Live."\nTicket prices are: Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, $18 ($10 for age 25 and younger); Fridays and Saturdays, $20 ($11 for age 25 and younger). Tickets are available at the Brown County Playhouse box office or the IU Auditorium box office, by phone through Ticketmaster at 333-9955 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.

Union Board hosts first Comedy Caravan of season\nWHEN: 9 p.m. Friday\nWHERE: Frangipani Room, Mezzanine level of IMU\nMORE INFORMATION: Live entertainment from stand-up comedians. Admission is free and open to the public.

La Casa open house invites students, staff\nWHEN: Noon-2 p.m., Friday\nWHERE: La Casa, 715 E. 7th Street, across from Dunn Meadow\nMORE INFORMATION: La Casa Latino Cultural Center and the GLBT Student Support Services Office will host an open house to meet students and staff and offer information about the centers. Music and refreshments will be provided.\nFor more information visit www.iub.edu/~lacasa. \nUnion Board presents 'V for Vendetta' outdoors\nWHEN: 8:30 p.m. Saturday\nWHERE: Dunn Meadow \nMORE INFORMATION: Admission is free. Free pizza and soft drinks will be served.