Thursday, Oct. 3

Dungy confident about Colts running game

Coach not worried despite lack of production

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy remains confident with his team's running game, even though it has only gained an average of 64 yards in three preseason games.\nMaking that stat look worse is that neither of the two running backs most likely to replace the departed Edgerrin James is even leading the team in rushing.\nDungy, however, is steadfast that the team will be able to run the ball effectively in the Sept. 10 season opener against the New York Giants.\n"I think the running game is really going to be in pretty good shape. I like where our runners are for the most part," Dungy said. "All in all, I think our running game is about where it's been in the past."\nThe rushing attack has looked weak in preseason games. The Colts managed just 60 yards in 38 attempts against New Orleans on \nSaturday.\nWhile the Colts are looking to use Dominic Rhodes and first-round draft choice Joseph Addai to succeed James, they rank second and third, respectively, on the team with 46 and 32 yards rushing. They trail backup Kory Chapman, who has 51 yards in 17 carries.\nDungy maintains the Colts' rushing statistics during the preseason have been skewed by the way opposing teams set up their defenses.\nSt. Louis and New Orleans both played defenses that led the Colts to pass more, but Dungy noted the team ran effectively against Seattle in the second preseason game.\n"People play us a little differently in the preseason than they do in the regular season," he said. "And we know that we're going to get some good looks to run against in the regular season. And when we do, I think we'll run effectively"