Thursday, Oct. 3

Live at MAC features 3 genres

Performances aim to engage students, Bloomington community

The Jacobs School of Music is hosting its third annual Live at the Musical Arts Center Series, highlighting a semester of performances aimed at engaging students and Bloomington community members with music from IU students. \nThe multi-week series will feature three different genres of "world-class" performances. Generally, jazz ensembles perform Mondays, while Tuesdays feature band performances and orchestral concerts headline Wednesdays. However, this is only a guideline, as things change from week to week.\nUpcoming Jacobs School events for this week include the University Orchestra performing works by Aaron Copland and Beethoven at 8 p.m. Wednesday and the IU Opera Theater's production of Mozart's "Don Giovanni" at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday.\nWith more than 1,100 concerts put on by the Jacobs School of Music every year, students can get bombarded with the opportunities the school offers, said Alain Barker, director of marketing and publicity for the Jacobs School of Music.\nWhat the Live at the MAC Series attempts to do is organize these free concerts on a regular basis in order to entice students to join and participate.\n"We are trying to create themes to catch people's attention," Barker said. "You're looking at world-class performances in Bloomington, usually for free. We want people to realize that it's open and that they're welcome. The MAC should be known as a community space."\nThe Jacobs School has consistently ranked as one of the top music schools in the nation. US News & World Report has praised the school for its opera program, jazz studies department and master's program. Notable alumni include Joshua Bell, a Bloomington native and Grammy Award-winning violinist, and William Preucil, concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra. \nAside from the Live at the Musical Arts Center Series, the Jacobs School of Music offers many events for students. Trumpet professor Edmund Cord will lead IU's Brass Choir throughout the semester. Additionally, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra will visit IU to play the Brahm's "Double Concerto" for violin and cello on Sunday, Nov. 12.\n"It's a lot more varied than people think," Barker said. "We have contemporary concerts, African-American ensembles and University singers frequently performing. I don't know any place on the planet that would offer the variety of things to enjoy all for free. We want to be sure that people know about all this."\nMore information about upcoming performances can be found at the Jacobs School events page at www.music.indiana.edu/events.