Thursday, Oct. 3

'Shakespeare' actor speaks on campus tonight

Free speech from Simon Callow open to public

British actor, director and author Simon Callow, who will be speaking at 5:15 p.m. Thursday at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre, has not become famous by playing main roles.\n"He will be remembered as one of those amazing character actors," said John E. Kinzer, director of audience development. "He's not a leading man ... he's one of those characters that's really easy [for the audience] to latch onto." \nStudents may recognize Callow from such films as "Shakespeare in Love," "Phantom of the Opera," "Four Weddings and A Funeral" and the HBO mini-series "Angels in America." On stage, he is internationally known for his work with England's National Theatre, and he has directed numerous productions in London and New York. \n"He has been a major force of British theatre for a long, long time," Kinzer said.\nCallow has authored many books, including two biographies about Orson Welles. His lecture tonight is entitled "'The Welles of Onlyness:' A Unique American" where he will share his thoughts about Welles, who is known for withholding truths, making it difficult to write about him. Callow most recently released his second biography about Welles titled, "Orson Welles: Volume 2: Hello Americans." \n"[Callow] has been able to do things a little differently ... it is impossible to find the truth of Orson Welles," Kinzer said on Callow's ability to write about him.\nThe actor, director and author is this year's 2006 Ralph L. Collins Memorial Lecture. Named for the former dean of faculties at IU, The Collins Lecture series was created in 1963 to memorialize Dean Ralph Collins and his love of theatre and drama, which he found to be much deeper than a mere form of entertainment, according to a press release. Collins taught courses in Shakespeare, modern drama and George Bernard Shaw. \nThe lecture will be held at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center. It is free to the public and tickets are not necessary. There will be a reception and book signing with Callow following the lecture. For more information, please visit theatre.indiana.edu.