Saturday, Sept. 21

Apes to emulate

There seems to be something in the air lately. Perhaps the cold, rainy weather combined with the political climate, and so many of us juggling life, work and school, has put a damper on things. Whatever the reason, people around campus are having a noticeably rough time. Relationships are crumbling. People are falling in love with people they shouldn't, hurting people they don't mean to, being on the receiving end of those and generally being beaten to a pulp by circumstances out of their control. In short, most of the people I know are walking around with tired, crushed souls. Oh, and we have to focus on midterms -- hooray for us. With such a palpable pain in the air, I have been reminded of that well-known lyric: "All you need is love." Though I maintain that oxygen, shelter and sustenance are also necessities for living, those British boys might have been on to something. \nI am also reminded of bonobos, a smaller variety of chimpanzees and one of our closest genetic relatives. These primates are some of the most peaceful creatures on the planet. They can be observed in their small troupes quietly foraging and grooming each other with the noticeable absence of the screeching and power-struggles that are commonly associated with primates. The key difference is that bonobos use sex and physical closeness as a means to diffuse aggression. There is no assertion of dominance or ownership with sex; instead it is utilized between members of all sexes as a therapeutic and comforting pastime. They would rather just be close to one another and care for each other than fight or assert their dominance. Sadly, bonobos are on the brink of extinction. Their dwindling numbers provide a disheartening metaphor for peace in these dark and complicated times. \nThough I am certainly not advocating a campus-wide orgy in Dunn Meadow or meaningless sexual encounters among strangers, I do feel that much can be learned from bonobo society. If animals who have less capability for higher thinking have figured out that being mellow and physically close is far more enjoyable and productive than the loneliness and stress that stems from aggression, then what the heck is wrong with us? We support dirty elections. We complain about loneliness, but we're far too busy or self-conscious to hold open a door, flash a smile at a stranger or to hug an acquaintance in obvious pain. A very wise woman often tells me that everyone who acts aggressively is simply responding as a wounded child, and envisioning everyone in such a manner makes compassion a very easy thing. Everyone you see is most likely fighting some soul-crushing battle, just like you. Take a moment to hold a door, flash a smile, share a hug or share the burden. Even going slightly out of your way to be kind will have a ripple effect, lightening the burden for all. And we can all agree that a little bit of such love is really all we need.