Saturday, Sept. 21

world

Around the World

North Korea says it will stage nuke test\nSEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea announced Tuesday that it will conduct a nuclear test in the face of what it claimed was an "extreme threat of a nuclear war" by the United States. The declaration provoked alarm and condemnation from leaders around the world. The United States warned a North Korean nuclear test "would pose an unacceptable threat to peace and stability," and the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations raised the issue during a Security Council meeting. The council agreed to hold further discussions Wednesday after consulting capitals.

Killer of Amish longed to molest\nQUARRYVILLE, Pa. -- A man who laid siege to a one-room Amish schoolhouse, killing five girls, told his wife shortly before opening fire that he had molested two young relatives decades ago and was tormented by "dreams of molesting again," authorities said Tuesday. Charles Carl Roberts IV might have planned to molest the girls at the Amish school, but police have no evidence that he actually did, State Police Commissioner Jeffrey B. Miller said.

Dow passes intraday high set in 2000\nNEW YORK -- The Dow Jones industrial average surged past its all-time trading high of 11,750.28 Tuesday, taking yet another step in its recovery from seven years of market turmoil. The index of 30 blue chip stocks moved into uncharted territory after briefly passing its record-high close of 11.722.98 Thursday and Monday. Both records were set Jan. 14, 2000, before the stock market began a precipitous decline caused by the dot-com bust and recession, and worsened by the aftermath of terrorism and corporate scandals.

Miami Herald publisher resigns, cites fallout, government paying journalists\nMIAMI - The Miami Herald's publisher resigned Tuesday, saying "ambiguously communicated" personnel policies resulted in the firings of three journalists at its Spanish-language paper who were paid to appear on U.S.-government broadcasts aimed at promoting democracy in Cuba. Jesus Diaz Jr., the paper's publisher since July 2005, had dismissed two El Nuevo Herald reporters and a freelance contributor who had been paid by Radio Marti and TV Marti. Diaz said the company offered to rehire the three and that the company wouldn't discipline six others it recently discovered also took payments. Diaz also resigned as president of the Miami Herald Media Co.