Saturday, Sept. 21

world

Around the World

N. Korea might conduct 2nd test\nSEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea said Tuesday it considered U.N. sanctions aimed at punishing the country for its nuclear test "a declaration of war," as Japan and South Korea reported the communist nation might be preparing a second explosion. The North broke two days of silence about the U.N. resolution adopted after its Oct. 9 nuclear test with a statement on the official state news agency, as China warned Pyongyang against stoking tensions.

1 Dead, 100 hurt in subway crash\nROME -- A subway train rammed into another train halted at a station in central Rome during the morning rush hour Tuesday, killing at least one person and injuring more than 100. One train was stopped in the station when it was hit from behind by another traveling at a high speed, said Atac, Rome's public transport company. Some passengers said the driver of the second train appeared to have run a red light.

Inflation down, economy slowing\nWASHINGTON -- Wholesale inflation plunged by the largest amount in more than three years in September as a record drop in gasoline prices offset higher costs for cars and other items. And in a sign of a slowing economy, industrial output dropped by the largest amount in a year. The Labor Department reported that wholesale prices overall fell 1.3 percent last month, nearly double the decline that analysts had been expecting. Gasoline prices plummeted 22.2 percent, the biggest one-month decrease on record.

Record industry launches lawsuits against piracy\nLONDON -- The international record industry launched thousands more lawsuits around the world Tuesday against individuals it accuses of illegally downloading and sharing digital music. The actions, a combination of criminal and civil suits, are aimed at "uploaders" -- people who have put hundreds or thousands of copyrighted songs onto the Internet via unauthorized peer-to-peer services like Gnutella, Limewire and Soulseek without permission from copyright holders. The United States was not one of the countries included in the new wave of lawsuits.

Iceland to resume commercial whaling\nREYKJAVIK, Iceland -- Iceland said Tuesday it would resume commercial whaling after a nearly two-decade moratorium, defying a worldwide ban on hunting the mammals for their meat. At this year's meeting of the International Whaling Commission in June, Iceland and a group of pro-whaling nations including Japan and Norway narrowly passed a symbolic resolution to support ending a nearly 20-year-old ban on commercial hunts.