Thursday, Oct. 3

'Beasts' an unsettling but important read for Americans

Beasts of No Nation" by Uzodinma Iweala is a stirring tale with far too much truth in it to be anything but unsettling and is therefore an essential read. \nThe main character is a young boy, Agu, who is kidnapped into an army in an unnamed West African nation. Initially, Agu sees the army as a heroic group of men, the romantic notion of war made popular in movies like "Rambo." However, the army is little more than a gang with an agenda, which, through the use of manipulation and strong hallucinogenic drugs, does the bidding of the man in charge. Once inducted into the army, Agu has two choices: fight or be killed.\nThe novel is all the more intriguing to me because I was able to spend three weeks in Liberia last summer seeing the aftermath of fifteen-plus years of civil war and unrest. The lack of water and electricity took me a few days to get used to, but that was far from the most important thing I took away from the experience. I was most impressed with the fact that in a country of high unemployment and high illiteracy, people were positive.\nNow it makes a lot more sense. As I read "Beasts of No Nation," I was appalled and disgusted with the circumstances that Agu was forced to deal with. More importantly, it gave me great respect for the people who were able to survive the horrible ordeal and remain positive.\nThis book, while hard to deal with on an emotional level, is a must-read for anyone who has ever wondered why the plight of people in third world countries should be America's concern. "Beasts of No Nation" reminds us that everyone in those countries is a person with the same basic wants and needs as anyone else and deserves the opportunity to live a fulfilling life. As Agu's life is dictated by a man with very base needs and desires, Agu realizes that war is neither romantic nor heroic.\nThe author, Iweala, born in 1982, is already a prize-winning writer who has a great future in front of him. His writing is powerful and efficient, his voice is convincing and real and his subject matter is unique and important.\n"Beasts of No Nation" is the best book I have read this year, and one of the best I have ever read.