Saturday, Sept. 21

Behrman trial update

MARTINSVILLE -- The parents of slain IU student Jill Behrman were called to the stand to testify in the third day of the trial of John R. Myers II, accused of killing the IU student. \nEric and Marilyn Behrman told jurors that their daughter had a lifelong interest in cycling, recalling how Jill tried out her older brother's bike when she just 5. \n"I can't forget Jill smiling, pedaling down the street," Eric Behrman said. "Bicycling was something she enjoyed very much."\nEric Behrman explained how Jill's interest in cycling developed as she grew older. He said she traveled on a bike trip with a local nondenominational group to Atlantic City, N.J., after graduating high school in 1999 and that she also rode in Monroe County's annual Hilly Hundred two-day bike race. \nEric and Marilyn Behrman recalled their memories from May 31, 2000, the last day Jill was seen alive, and the nearly three-year search for their daughter.\nSeveral jurors wiped away tears as Eric Behrman recalled the day he and his family were notified that Jill's remains had been recovered in March 2003.\nEric Behrman said three investigators and a minister from the Behrmans' church met with the family at their home.\n"They said 'This is the day we've been looking for for a long time. We found Jill,'" Eric Behrman said. "They gave us the news."\nSeveral pieces of evidence were introduced, including what is believed to be Jill's bicycle.\nFor more on this story, see Thursday's Indiana Daily Student.