Saturday, Sept. 21

Fit for work?

Online Only

This past Thursday, I packed three suitcases and headed to the Windy City for the fitness enthusiasts' version of Christmas: Club Industry (thankfully, I went with two men, so there was ample room in the trunk for my luggage). I was fully prepared to market myself as an academic, but I failed to realize how superficial the industry I plan to enter really can be.\nWhat ensued cannot accurately be described in words. After consuming nearly every free sample in sight, I was so amped up on protein and caffeine that my body still suffers the repercussions. Then I began talking with different vendors about their products. I gave my "I'm a graduate student doing research comparison" spiel, and each salesperson eagerly answered my questions. I tested out the equipment, attempting to find weaknesses in the design. Throughout the entire process, every vendor I encountered was eager to let me examine his or her product. It was crafty networking at its best. After three hours of researching, testing and marketing myself as a future employee, I was exhausted. However, I was excited to share my personal experience with fellow classmates come Monday.\nLittle did I know that many did not have such a positive experience with vendors. Many claimed they were ignored, slighted or treated poorly. While I left with a large stack of business cards, they left with a deep sense of disappointment. I wondered what it was I did to cause salespeople to treat me so well. Was it because I had 'buyer' labeled on my name badge or did it have something to do with the Under Armour shorts I had on (nearly every vendor asked me if I was a runner or fitness competitor)? All I can deduce is this: when it comes to obtaining information and marketing yourself as a fitness professional, presentation is key. Education takes a backseat to muscles and money. Physical appearance is important in every profession but especially for those pursuing a career in fitness. At Club Industry, I believe I had instant credibility even if I didn't say one intelligent thing. \nThis is quite bothersome for someone pursuing his or her Masters. At the end of the day, will the degree even matter? Is this worth $20,000 in student debt? I want to be recognized for my knowledge, not just my body. There were others with 'buyer' on their badges, but they didn't receive as many job offers as I did. I am torn writing this because I probably sound like the most narcissistic person East of the Mississippi (Terrell Owens would get the title if you were to venture West), but I honestly can't think of any other reason.\nIn reality, we subconsciously judge others every day. Club Industry just happens to be an extreme example of this. Well, it's a cutthroat world, and I'll take any advantage I can get.