Saturday, Sept. 21

Freedom of listen

Thus far in my position as assistant Opinion editor of the Indiana Daily Student, I've had the opportunity to view the news cycle in an interesting manner. News is covered by reporters and published in our newspaper. The voices on the Opinion page then comment on that news. Soon, readers respond in our form of public sphere: the Jordan River Forum. I take it as a great honor that I'm the first one to see what you, the reader, have to say. Wonderful arguments are many times expounded, and inadequacies in our reporting or commentary revealed, for which we are very grateful.\nHowever, it's far too often that I'm privy to certain responses (which you, as the reader, sometimes are and sometimes are not allowed in on) that are far less helpful to the conversation. Assertion of opinions as fact, without the allowance to compromise through discussion, is harmful to our avenues of knowledge and often lead to unwarranted tunnel vision. This is not to accuse only the responders. We as columnists are often guilty of the same crime (though we do our best to avoid doing so during editing), and those columnists who do not welcome open-minded debate shame themselves. \nPersonal attacks also provide little for social gain. I've been told both that I've doomed the world and that I might be killed if I ever set foot in a certain part of our nation as a result of pieces I've written. While I assure you these two incidents have had little effect on my psyche or writing, I can guarantee you they have done even less in the way of making headway in debate.\nIf we are to discover solutions to our problems, to make societal gains and to improve our way of life, it's required that, at every possible chance we are provided, debates on issues be on the merits of the argument and not the parroting of party lines or personal vendetta. All people in this nation are part of debates in all spectrums -- so says our First Amendment. It's irresponsible and downright oppressive to disallow someone else to speak in turn. The most essential part of our freedom of speech is the responsibility to listen.\nI implore all of Bloomington, all of Indiana, all of the United States and the entire world: Please continue debates about the merit of opinions. They are perhaps the most important discussions you'll ever have. Furthermore, lend an analytical ear to those speaking out against you. Remember this quote from Aaron Sorkin's "The American President":\n"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.'"\nThis is America, ladies and gentlemen. You are responsible to hear.