Thursday, Oct. 3

Hilarious production of 'Urinetown' boasts strong cast

What kind of musical is this?" Little Sally exclaims toward the end of "Urinetown, The Musical." \nWell, it is certainly not a conventional one -- but it is a great one. \n"Urinetown" is about the "privilege to pee," and members of the audience very well might laugh until they take advantage of that privilege. \nThe musical opened Friday night at the Wells-Metz Theatre. Full of hilarious songs and choreography, strong characters and a surprising plot, "Urinetown" will entertain anyone who attends. \nIt takes place in a "town like any town you might find in a musical" in the aftermath of a 20-year drought. Local big business Urine Good Company, in an effort to preserve the water and allow the bigwigs to go to Rio, has placed a fee on using the public bathrooms. The poor scrounge together change to pay for the use of Amenity Number Nine, the filthiest toilet in town. \nThe play is narrated by Officer Lockstock, played by senior Kevin Anderson. He tells the story from a nontraditional voice, constantly alluding to the next scenes and noting the mechanisms of a musical. Anderson's comical menacing interpretation of Lockstock kept the audience snickering from beginning to end. In the musical number, "Cop Song," Anderson is particularly comical.\nLittle Sally, played by senior Joanne Dubach, who perfected the girlish voice and pigeon-toed innocence of Sally's character, serves as an assistant narrator with Lockstock throughout the show. \nThe protagonist of the show is Bobby Strong , the assistant custodian at Amenity Number Nine. If there is only one reason to see the show -- believe me, there are hundreds -- it is to see graduate student Eric VanTielen in the role of Bobby Strong. VanTielen masters the dreamy, rebellious hero and has a fabulous voice to boot.\nSenior Rachel Sickmeier plays his boss, Penelope Pennywise, the show's resident big-haired vixen. Sickmeier's gave a solid performance and was one of the strongest vocalists. \nThe bad guys are led by Caldwell B. Cladwell, played by senior Jonathan Davidson. Davidson leads some of the most entertaining scenes, namely when he instructs his daughter Hope to "not be the bunny" -- be the hunter, not the hunted -- and teaches her to manipulate large masses of people. Hope, played by junior Anna Malone, captures the audience's affection with her cheery optimism and her ability to speak the language of the heart. \nThe choreography is quite intricate, utilizing and mocking aspects of "Fiddler on the Roof," "Les Miserables" and even some Bob Fosse. The songs are funny and somewhat random, and the story is like none other -- with unexpected twists and a not-so-happy ending.\nWhat is most enjoyable about this particular production of "Urinetown" is that because it takes place in the small, intimate black box Wells-Metz Theatre, the audience becomes a part of the show. With two rows of chairs protruding onto the stage, the actors could touch and talk to the audience. It is rare that a musical physically includes the audience, but, then again, "Urinetown" is a rare musical. \n"Urinetown" will be running at 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday at the Wells-Metz Theatre. Tickets are $10-$18 and are available from the IU Auditorium Box Office or Ticketmaster. Visit www.indiana.edu/~thtr for more information.