Saturday, Sept. 21

Indiana GOP calls for stricter illegal alien legislation

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana House Republicans will seek legislation designed to crack down on illegal immigration in Indiana, although some of their proposals announced Tuesday are already covered under federal law.\n"Hoosiers are concerned that individuals living in this country illegally are receiving state benefits paid for by Hoosier tax dollars," said Rep. John Smith, R-Kokomo. "It's a problem that negatively affects every citizen in Indiana."\nRep. Eric Turner, R-Gas City, said Republicans hoped the plan would have a "chilling effect" on the flow of illegal immigration in Indiana.\nSome of the proposals were designed to ensure that state agencies comply with federal laws by denying illegal immigrants public benefits such as assisted housing, post-secondary education, unemployment assistance and health care paid through Medicaid. Republicans said a state law would reinforce such federal restrictions.\nAnother provision would require the Indiana State Police to seek a pilot program with the federal government that would broaden the authority of troopers to investigate immigration violations and detain illegal residents. Florida, Alabama and Arkansas already have such programs, Republicans said, and Colorado and Georgia enacted laws this year allowing them to enforce immigration laws.