Saturday, Sept. 21

IU finishes 28th in Head of the Charles

Hoosiers also drop scrimmage to Louisville Saturday

The IU women's rowing team finished 28th in the championship race at the Head of the Charles in Boston on Sunday. IU's top coxswain and eight rowers, who comprised the varsity boat, completed the three-mile course in 17:08.314. The team was just shy of achieving its goal of placing in the top 25 crews but clocked in at a faster time than 18 of the other entrants. \nThe Hoosiers went up against college and club teams, as well as the U.S. Rowing and Canadian national team, in the event. The women's championship race is arguably the regatta's premier event and is open to both collegiate and international teams. The Head of the Charles is the world's largest regatta, bringing thousands of athletes and spectators to the Charles River every fall.\nIU's second and third varsity and novice boats raced Saturday in a scrimmage against Louisville on Lake Lemon. The Hoosiers won one of the two-minute set races but were defeated in two of the pieces and the head race. IU's third varsity eight finished closely behind Louisville's second varsity eight in the head race, followed by IU's second varsity eight and novice eight. Louisville's third and novice boats trailed all three IU boats, finishing fourth and fifth, respectively.\nThe Hoosiers will next be in action Sunday at the Head of the Elk race in Elkhart, Ind.