Thursday, Oct. 3

Library offers variety of research workshops

Sessions are free and available to undergraduates

The Herman B Wells Library is providing free workshops this week to address potential roadblocks in researching papers and navigating the library.\nCarrie Donovan, IU instructional service librarian, usually leads the library workshops. She said drop-in workshops include four to five students and can be a great opportunity to share information and practice computer skills. \n"Some students think that the library is only for studying, but it is an interesting place, and we can give them valuable information and experience," Donavan said. "I know students have lots of pressure, but this workshop will be (a) valuable investment for their academic life."\nEach workshop is preceded by a tour of the Wells Library. Tours begin 30 minutes before the start of the workshop in the library's lobby. Advance registration is not necessary.\nDrop-in workshops are for undergraduate students, but there are also similar programs for graduate students.\nThe workshops focus on a variety of topics. The upcoming programs include "Do You Know What You Don't Know?" a session at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday that will offer strategies for paying attention to the news, events and ideas from around the world. At 2:30 p.m. Thursday and Wednesday, Nov. 8, students can learn how to find related resources and proceed with the research in the "Do The 'Write' Thing" workshop. All workshops are held in the Information Commons Instruction Cluster No. 1. \nFor more information, visit www.libraries.iub.edu.