Saturday, Sept. 21

No. 21 Hoosiers drop 2 Big Ten games

IU loses third game in a row, title hopes eliminated

The IU women's soccer team entered this weekend with hopes of earning the school's first Big Ten regular season title.\nThe title will have to wait at least another year.\nThe Iowa Hawkeyes, who entered Friday's game without a win, upset the No. 21 Hoosiers (9-5-4, 5-3-1 Big Ten). The Hawkeyes won the 1-0 contest in double overtime when Hawkeye defender Claire Goldenberg scored the game-winner in the 105th minute. The Hawkeyes' Kelsey Shaw was able to pass the ball to Goldenberg off of a Kelly Warner header. Goldenberg shot the ball past junior goalkeeper Stacey Van Boxmeer to beat the Hoosiers.\nIU's downfall continued Sunday with a 1-0 loss to Illinois. The loss was the third in a row for the Hoosiers -- a streak that started when IU's 13-game unbeaten streak finished. The unbeaten streak was the second longest in program history, just one short of the record.\nThe Illini scored the game's only goal in the 39th minute when Illinois' Ella Masar scored her sixth goal of the season off a Courtney Bell assist.\nIU did have a few chances to score before Masar's goal. In the 20th minute, senior forward Carrie DeFreece sent a pass in the direction of freshman midfielder Christie Kotynski. The ball went over Kotynski's head, but senior forward Megan Pipkens was there to catch the pass with her foot. Pipkins took a shot, which bounced off Kotynski's head, but it was saved by Illini goalkeeper Lindsey Carstens. All three of IU's shots on goal came from Kotynski.\nIU coach Mick Lyon tweaked his starting lineups for this weekend's matches. Junior midfielder Beverly Markwort was in the starting lineup Friday for the first time since Sept. 17, when the Hoosiers tied the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. Markwort replaced freshman Taylor Fallon who had started since the UNC-Greensboro game. Lyon changed the lineups once again for Sunday's game, replacing Markwort with junior Katy Stewart and starting Pipkens in place of freshman Kristin Arnold.\nThe losses knocked IU from second place in the Big Ten to a third place tie with Purdue. Illinois passed the Hoosiers for second place Friday night with a 2-0 win over the Boilermakers and extended its lead by three more points with Sunday's win.\nIU ends its regular season Friday at Purdue. If the Hoosiers win their regular season finale, they will have the third seed entering the Big Ten Tournament the following weekend. If they lose, the Hoosiers could potentially fall as far as the sixth seed.