Saturday, Sept. 21

Online Only: Falling for fall

I've always maintained that IU spends way too much money on landscaping. To lure freshmen to campus, groundskeepers work tirelessly perfecting every last pansy, sunflower and magnolia. Most of the time, I take this meticulous planning for granted. However, when mid-October rolls around, I take the scenic route to class.\nWhile the forecast has been especially dreadful this month, the deciduous trees have not failed to disappoint. One in particular, the Red Maple, radiates a pigment that would make a ruby jealous. The sight of this tree takes me on more detours than I've encountered in downtown Chicago.\nOne look at my daily planner tells the story: I am in serious need of some excitement and spontaneity. Planning classes, workouts, homework, teaching and, in most instances, sleeping and eating down to the 15-minute increment is incredibly mundane. The only instances I can recall breathing hard involved a contraption known as the StepMill. It only makes sense that I would seek out a tree that embodies emotions that I fail to acknowledge on a regular basis -- and I'd doubt I'm the only person who feels like this.\nThus, here are some ways you can appreciate the season:\nLocated just 45 minutes north of Bloomington is Anderson Orchard in Moorsville, Ind., home to the famous Scarlett Beauty apple. One of these sweet treats is large enough to feed two hungry pickers. A quick drive down the gravel road will lead you to a myriad of pumpkins and gourds, which would add the perfect touch of color to any front porch step. The pond, which is lined with beautiful sugar maple and walnut trees, is located at the back of the property and presents the ideal location for an afternoon picnic. Upon departure, take the time to stop at the barn to purchase some fresh apple cider and fresh-frozen red and golden raspberries. The orchard closes just prior to Thanksgiving. Therefore, one must act quickly in order to sample Indiana's finest fresh fruit.\nAnother popular destination in the Bloomington vicinity is Brown County State Park. However, I prefer the lesser-known McCormick's Creek State Park in Spencer. Not only do you avoid caravans of SUVs oohing and ahhing over the rarely seen white-tail deer, but the drive from campus is under 30 minutes. Admission is $5 on weekends, which is a steal compared to the average movie ticket price. Once inside, visitors enjoy activities such as hiking, horseback riding, caving and biking. Several shelters are also available for rental and are perfect places for fall barbeques. Overnight guests can either stay in the rustic Canyon Inn or take their chances in the primitive campground. No matter what activity you choose, it will take place amongst the backdrop of the colorful virgin timber.\nWith winter rapidly approaching and schedules as busy as the mall on Black Friday, I would highly recommend taking a few hours out of the day for seasonal relaxation. Before long, the trees will be bare and ice and snow will regain control of the campus. Let the infamous countdown to Spring Break begin.